optical drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
Just put a cd in and nothing is showing on the desktop. The computer is making a clicking sound and will not eject the cd. Any ideas please or am I covered with Apple care.

Reaction score
reboot and hold the eject button, it should unload while rebooting

OP
pirrip
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
Tried that but no joy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
If you suspect a bad optical drive, and you still have AppleCare, take your Mac back to the store where you purchased it.

If AC has expired, then we need to look at some other ways of getting the stuck disk out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
All optical drives on the macs should have a failsafe, there should be articles about it somewhere online. You basically stick a safetypin in there and it'll throw the cd up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 10.5.8 2.53 Ghz Intel Core Duo 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
do you have a virtual machine? I think the vmware fusion has got control of the cd-utility. open fusion, go to settings and release the cd ownership.

C

chas_m

Two questions:

1. Was this a standard-sized-and-shaped CD with NO paper (homemade) label on it?

2. If it was, try this: carefully hold the machine in such a way that the optical drive is facing downward (like hanging out over the edge of a table). Reboot the machine and hold the mouse key down as suggested above. Gravity should do the rest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.