Onyx?

d_k

Reaction score
I downloaded Onyx and I want to make sure of things before I click away. How often should I use this program, and do I execute both the 'maintenance' and 'cleaning'? Under cleaning there are a list of options to perform, which ones should be selected and what shouldn't?

I also ran across AVG (AVG | LinkScanner for Mac | How it works?), and supposedly it protects your computer during web surfing..any inputs?

Sorry guys this is my first Mac and I'm trying to make sure of things :D

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions in the future to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
In Onyx under the Maintenance tab, you can repair the permissions, and executed the Scripts.
I wouldn't do anything under Rebuilt unless your Mac has a problem and you know you can fix it by rebuilding something.
In the cleaning tab, you can clean anything you want.
The first 3, System, User, Internet, and Fonts, are just for deleting caches, cleaning them won't hurt anything. Same with the Logs.
Be careful what you clean under Misc, I have never used that tab so I have no idea what the "Obsolete Items" are that it will delete.

Doing this once a month should suffice, its not like your Mac could't work without doing it.

The Link Scanner, well… I think using common sense will keep you out to trouble.
Besides, Safari 5 has a Fraudulent Site checker already built in, in the Safari Preferences under Security check "Warn me when visiting a fraudulent website".
When enabled it will query googles list of fraudulent websites and give you a big red warning when you try to visit a fraudulent site.

Phishing Protection
Safari protects you from fraudulent Internet sites. When you visit a suspicious site, Safari warns you about its suspect nature and prevents the page from loading.

Malware Protection
Safari recognizes websites that harbor malware before you visit them. If Safari identifies a dangerous page, it warns you about the suspect nature of the site.

EV Certificates
Safari supports Extended Validation (EV) Certificates, allowing you to easily identify legitimate websites and businesses. For sites that have an EV Certificate, Safari displays the site’s name in green on the right side of the address field. Just click the name to learn more about the website’s security credentials.

Apple - Safari - Learn about the features available in Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
There's a heap of other stuff that OnyX can do. Click the Parameters tab and experiment with some or all of the available tabs displayed.

Reaction score
and slumped

I know this doesn't really have anything to do with it, but I've used Onyx before. And it's a very good program to have.

C

chas_m

AVG = worthless on a Mac. Forget it.

OnyX, et al -- not that often. A lot of people suggest "monthly," but I think that's as much because its a regular interval than for any actual benefit over doing it less often.

I do that sort of stuff roughly bimonthly (probably more like "quarterly"). BACKUPS, on the other hand, I do all the time (via time machine) and weekly (clone).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, iMac
Sorry guys this is my first Mac and I'm trying to make sure of things :D

Thanks in advance!

No need to be sorry, you are taking a wise course of action... you are not (yet) confident with a topic so you are asking for guidance from others who have been there before... good decision.

I have used Onyx (and CockTail). I agree with MrYukon's suggested use of Onyx.

As to AVG (or other anti-malware on Mac), in my opinion, in general, it is a waste of time.

If you feel you need an AV on a Mac, you can use ClamAV. Note that this protects MS Windows users from files on your Mac that carry MS viruses. I am not aware of any any any (did I mention any) viruses for a Mac at this time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.