Is there a way to sync folders between two computers?

Reaction score
I work from two computers, and I need an easier way for my folders to be synced than contantly backing my working into a USB drive and dumping it into the other computer.

I need a way to make sure that when I make a change to folder "X" in computer A, the same change will happen to folder "X" in computer B. And vice versa.

Reaction score
Hello,

You can do this with an application from econ (Mac OS X Software | ChronoSync | ChronoAgent | Econ Technologies). you need to buy two licences that will cost you $80 both but it can perfom that task that you want. I am thinking of buying that software for a similar purpose.

if you want to go with a free solution you can get a dropbox account which is free (only for 2GB) so you can have it installed on both computers and acess you files. the same solution is available from LaCie Wuala (i think the free version is for 1GB).

Dropbox and LaCie Wuala have alternative plans for more storage with a variety of costs.

Vitalion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'd highly recommend Dropbox. I use it myself, and you get a minimum of 2gb free. I use it to keep some files on my Mac and my work Windows machine in sync.

It also has a web interface if you ever wanted to access those files on-the-go from another machine.

It's super easy to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'll add in my support for Dropbox as well. I use it as a great way to access files from not only other computers but also between VMs (I could setup a shared drive but that is much more tedious). It's quick, it's stable and it's free - what else do you need.

My question for you is this - are you okay using an online service or do you want something local?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook, Touch 2ndgen 16g iOS 4
I'd second Dropbox as well.

Or, if both computers on are the same network...like at home...and you have an Airport Extreme, just plug a USB drive into it and you have a networked drive that everyone on your LAN can access.

OP
M
Reaction score
dropbox looks great... but it's impossible for me to keep my Apple Mail and Safari bookmarks etc. in sync with it... I think that's only possible with chronosync.

I just don't want to pay $40 if all I'm going to be using it for is Mail and Safari, because dropbox seems much better for managing files and music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You can use xmarks for Safari bookmark syncing, it's free.

You can use IMAP for Mail which should keep your mail accounts in sync.

C

chas_m

MobileMe is "more expensive" if that's all you were going to be using it for, but as part of an overall package of services it will of course do what you're looking for -- and can often be found cheaper than retail on Amazon or Ebay, et al.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.