A couple of things I'd like to discuss about the iPhone [SERIOUS THREAD]

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I’m opening this thread because I’d like to discuss some points with you guys. My intentions are NOT to troll, start a flame war or to bash Apple Inc. but to discuss the possible reasons why Apple can allow these features, yet why they chopped them off the spec list.

We all know that the iPhone is great, it’s a device that has set new standards on the industry and that has changed the way smartphones will be in the future. It’s a device that is gaining a lot of popularity and, that combined with full-time internet access and it’s app store, it makes it the perfect device for almost any purpose, be it business, media, gaming or even engineering and complex multipurpose applications.

Overall, the iPhone is an excellent device, simple to use, powerful and with 250,000 apps that increase it’s potential for any kind of job.

Now, the deal is this, why is Apple blocking features on it, that it’s already packing on the iPhone’s hardware? I’m talking about simple things like FM radio (available since the iPhone 3GS, I think), Bluetooth file transfers (Let’s keep music out of it, I understand that it could damage Apple’s iTunes but, why not pictures and video?). Why is Apple not enabling these features on their phones?

I just want to know, why?

Discuss :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
The most likely reason (in my opinion) is that Apple prioritizes battery life and storage while keeping the form factor at the same time, using as little extra hardware as possible. Even the keyboard is software-based.

Exchanging files can be done via e-mail and iDisk, btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I just want to know, why?

Discuss :p

Same reason every handset manufacturer and carrier has always not enabled features for every option possible.

OP
I
Reaction score
The most likely reason (in my opinion) is that Apple prioritizes battery life and storage while keeping the form factor at the same time, using as little extra hardware as possible. Even the keyboard is software-based.

That might make sense... but something funny is, for example, that the 3GS's Bluetooth/WiFi chipset (Broadcom BCM4325) and the 4 (thanks to the Broadcom BCM4329FKUBG) actually supports FM radio and it can be enabled if Apple wanted. I personally don't believe it would be a battery hog if it's turned on ONLY when the user activates it. And, about the file transfer, can you explain me how to do it with iDisk please? Also, I've been facing situations where I didn't have 3G access on my 3GS, and I had to send pictures over bluetooth and I couldn't, because Apple didn't add file transfer protocols >_>. It makes no sense IMO.

Same reason every handset manufacturer and carrier has always not enabled features for every option possible.

I don't understand :/ For example, Bluetooth file transfer is something that won't hurt the iPhone's battery life, BT doesn't needs to be on 24/7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because I'm sure they prioritize features based on what's important to the most users. Everyone can't do everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
That might make sense... but something funny is, for example, that the 3GS's Bluetooth/WiFi chipset (Broadcom BCM4325) and the 4 (thanks to the Broadcom BCM4329FKUBG) actually supports FM radio and it can be enabled if Apple wanted. I personally don't believe it would be a battery hog if it's turned on ONLY when the user activates it. And, about the file transfer, can you explain me how to do it with iDisk please? Also, I've been facing situations where I didn't have 3G access on my 3GS, and I had to send pictures over bluetooth and I couldn't, because Apple didn't add file transfer protocols >_>. It makes no sense IMO.
I'm not saying that it would be a battery hog, I'm just saying that Apple would spend as much space as possible on a large battery, rather than adding redundant hardware. I didn't know that the electronics in the iPhone already supports FM radio transmission.
I don't understand :/ For example, Bluetooth file transfer is something that won't hurt the iPhone's battery life, BT doesn't needs to be on 24/7.
No, but the extra hardware would force Apple to make a larger phone or provide a smaller battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm not saying that it would be a battery hog, I'm just saying that Apple would spend as much space as possible on a large battery, rather than adding redundant hardware. I didn't know that the electronics in the iPhone already supports FM radio transmission.

No, but the extra hardware would force Apple to make a larger phone or provide a smaller battery.

Sorry, but that is absolutely false. I've had Sony Ericcsson phones which are more than half the size of an iPhone which have said features and more. Video cam anybody ? Have you seen the size of modern chips put into the tiniest of flash based Mp3 players ? It's almost ridiculous.

No one really wants to ever say anything negative towards Apple here, else they're branded as an hater or troll, I'm learning that slowly and also learning to TRY and keep my nose out of threads like this because you'll almost never get an honest answer.

As for my opinion on why they don't include such features, I can only speculate and offer no real solid proof of anything so I'm not even going to begin to try, else I'll just come off as an arrogant know it all. But it kind of irks me (hence my reason for posting) when others make blatantly false statements as the one's offered thus far in the thread.

Form factor ? No. The hardware required is years old and has advanced since, and has been fit into phones FAR smaller than the iPhone. Same story with FM radio's and BT in Mp3 players the size of a triple A battery, vs. any iPod. Old, wrong and laaame excuse.

Battery life ? Right, because the user doesn't have the ability to plug a device into mains. Which isn't even really the point though...

Exchanging files via email is fine. Downloading and actually being able to UTILIZE them on a system wide level is quite another thing. This is a limitation of Apple's proprietary software. Not saying it's good or bad, that's a call which is up to the user. For me personally, it's bad and if given a choice would rather be able to receive a file to store in a folder for use where ever appropriate within the operational parameters of the OS.

schweb said:
What does that even mean in this specific case though ? We're discussing features which as far as I've ever seen and known, all other handset manufacturer's have never dismissed. Even on dumb phones from way back in the day. To not include such features on a "smart" phone (which I really don't consider the iPhone to be) means having very specific reasons to do so, but Apple never ever has to state its intentions, as their fan base never questions a thing they do, whether right or wrong.

The antenna debacle is perhaps one of the first things in modern times where a large enough number of fans have begun to question the merit of one of Apple's design decisions, and for reasons of functionality and not aesthetics.

But as has been said and will be said again, don't bother with an iPhone or iPod or iAnything if those features are important to you. There are other choices out there which perform just as well or better in terms of energy consumption and functionality in the Mp3 player or phone market. Just because they're not backed by a gigantic marketing campaign, does not mean they're poor products. It just means they're not likely to survive in the wild (market) as long as an Apple product. But that's an entirely different subject.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not even worth responding to your inaccurate reply, it won't change your opinion, since I think you just like the process of the argument more than the facts. ;)

We all know you don't like the iPhone, just don't buy one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The fact is Apple chose to produce and market the product as it is. If it doesn't do what you want it to do or what you think it should do then youshould get a phone that does. Pretty simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Here's the best answer you will get: because they can.

Now stop complaining about what the iPhone lacks or why and just go buy something that satisfies your specific needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)
Here's the best answer you will get: because they can.

Now stop complaining about what the iPhone lacks or why and just go buy something that satisfies your specific needs.

WELL said. This is a forum for discussing exciting new mac-based things, and even maybe some questions regarding the actual iPhone. Why is EVERYONE posting lately about how they hate the software, or how they hate how they did things.

When you buy a car, do you just go out and buy the first one that looks cool? Or do you research what gets the best mileage, what got the best rating, what got the best crash test rating, and what has the most awesome add-ons that you can buy?

Please people, stop whining. WHAT is complaining going to get you? Nothing but banned form a forum, or your posts closed.

Bottom Line:

Quit while you're ahead.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The FM Radio I could care less about. If I really wanted one, I have one the size of a Memory stick that would probably work just as well as anything they could cram into the iPhone. With all that music on the iPod part, I really don't care about radio anymore. As far as news I can get that on the internet right on the phone.

As far as Bluetooth File Transfers, that is a different matter. I wish the iPhone did do that. It will not stop me from liking the iPhone (I love the interface, it fits me better than anything else I have ever used), but it would be nice for sure. I know you can email files but I am old fashioned and would love to just transfer files to and from the computer.

Reaction score
agreed. I have the iheartradio app. you can go to 'local' and guess what? all the local FM stations, and better "reception". I live in DES (thanks auto-correct!) Moines, the Ames college station is 45 minutes north and over a regular FM receiver would be fuzzy at best. I'm listening to it right now, CD quality or perhaps better, with absolutely no interference or static.

Also, the mover app can transfer pics over bluetooth. Haven't tested video yet. I email videos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One word....

Pandora.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Just because the hardware can do something, in theory, doesn't mean it should. Apple didn't allow some 4.0 features to work on 3G. People claim Apple is just trying to sell newer phones. Me and a friend at work jailbroke our 3G phones to allow backgrounds and multi-task and guess what? It so slow and laggy it was painful!! I totally understand why Apple chose not to put it on 3G.

Regarding the BT and FM comments: for FM I don't know if that really would work. If it did I imagine the jailbreak community would have had it going, but I haven't seen anything about it. On the other hand, the BT sync has been made to work. In that case I'm guessing Apple just doesn't want to open up the wireless for potential security reasons. To enable wireless sync they might need to open up potential exploits for hackers. Who knows? Only Apple knows for sure; definitely not speculating internet bloggers and nay-sayers. I don't see any profit-making reason to hold it back, so I don't see why Apple would hold it back for no good reason.

Other handsets definitely hold back hardware capability. I know at least one Andriod phone capable of HD video that isn't available through the basic software, but can be if it's hacked. So Apple isn't alone in this.

At the end of the day it's like others have said. A product can't be all things to all people and consumers the vast majority don't want to pay top-dollar for every single capability they may never use. If that were the case why would people buy budget computers and cars? ALL consumer products make compromises based on its target consumer. Apple makes a product with the features it thinks it's customers want the most. And apparently it's customers like what Apple has put out. I seriously doubt there are 3 million+ people that are THAT much of a hardcore Apple fan as to sacrifice their own wants/needs for an Apple logo, no matter what the haters believe.

Figure out what you really want, find a product that matches you, and have a nice day!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.