New MacBook Pro is hot, and the battery didn't last--What in the world?

Reaction score
I love my MacBook Pro to death, but I seriously think it's out to get me. As you all may know, I got it back on Monday after some trauma occurred to the logic board and MagSafe port. I was gone all of Tuesday and part of Wednesday (yesterday) and my MBP was on, closed, and running on battery the whole time. I didn't plug it in because we get freak storms and I wouldn't be able to unplug it.

ANYWAY, it was still at about 79% when I opened it to use it after returning. I let the battery get to about 50 something percent before charging it back up yesterday. It took about three hours for the battery to get that low.

This morning I woke up and unplugged my MBP. I use it in my bed ALL of the time in the morning. However, after about three minutes, it got so hot to the touch that it nearly burned me. I took it and let it cool down on my desk for about 45 minutes before taking it down to my living room. There, I noticed that about every 2-3 minutes, even with energy-saving settings, that I would lose a percent or two of my battery. Also, it would always say that I had about 2 hours and thirty minutes remaining, and it was pretty close to being right! It was off by maybe 30 minutes to an hour.

I figured I should calibrate the battery just because it was about time for that anyway. I used it until it was super low, then closed it and let it sit for five or six hours. I am now charging it again.

It feels warm now, especially on the upper left side of my keyboard and over the function keys closer to the left. It's on a flat surface and is quickly getting hotter.

The CPU is running temperatures between 80 and 85 degrees Celsius.

The battery has been through 20 cycles.

Full charge capacity is 5582.

I'm running OS X 10.6.4.

What's going on?

EDIT: I can also hear and fan running. It's not loud, especially when compared to my old windows notebooks. However, its louder than I've ever heard it before.

OP
Jerichoa
Reaction score
QUESTION: Do you think that, possibly, the cooling fan wasn't hooked up properly when the new logic board was installed, or some similar error occurred during repairs? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
What kind of stuff were you running when you noticed the battery dropping and the heat? This can greatly affect battery life.

I also hope that while using it in bed, you have it on something that allows good ventilation and it's not just on the bed or your lap? That will definitely impact how hot it gets.

OP
Jerichoa
Reaction score
Hey! All I'm using it iChat and/or Safari.

There's DEFINITELY never been ventilation issues before!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It depends on what you're doing. Ventilation is key though, it's really bad to not allow air circulation.

Are you watching video or visiting flash-based sites while surfing? That'll definitely make your computer work harder.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I would launch activity monitor and see what is making your machine work so hard. I have like 20 tabs open in firefox and some of them are flash based content and I'm sitting at 64 degrees Celsius.

OP
Jerichoa
Reaction score
Sure thing. How do I do that?

EDIT: Nevermind! I found it! The most used items are at, like, 3-6% CPU usage, and there's only about four or five of them... So... I'm confused. Again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But you still never answered, where is your laptop while you're using it? Are you sure you're letting it have enough ventilation?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also remember that if you use the notebook on your lap...the heat from your body can contribute to the temperature as well.

- Nick

OP
Jerichoa
Reaction score
Sorry about that! I thought I had. It's been sitting on a desk all day.

Pigoo, that app has helped a heck of a lot! I'm sitting at 69-70*C now. That's like freaking Antarctica compared to how it was. However, do you think I should take it in for them to look at?

EDIT: Of course I should. The battery still isn't holding up very well!!! AGH!!!

EDIT 3: A revelation. The faster fan could be eating away at my battery?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that! I thought I had. It's been sitting on a desk all day.

Pigoo, that app has helped a heck of a lot! I'm sitting at 69-70*C now. That's like freaking Antarctica compared to how it was. However, do you think I should take it in for them to look at?

EDIT: Of course I should. The battery still isn't holding up very well!!! AGH!!!

EDIT 3: A revelation. The faster fan could be eating away at my battery?

Like you said...sure take it in. If you're not 100% comfortable with how it's operating. That's what they're there for...might as well take advantage of the warranty.

Although...I think you may be attracted to a couple of the guys there...and you're just going back to "hit on them"...AGAIN!;)

- Nick

OP
Jerichoa
Reaction score
I never hit on Rob!!! And I just spent three days surrounded by "hot" guys, free contraception, and pass to do whatever the doo-dah-day I wanted. And all I could think about was him.

My boyfriend, I mean. :D

EDIT: Yeah, do you think this has anything to do with the water incident, or do you think it was a repair mishap?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I figured I should calibrate the battery just because it was about time for that anyway. I used it until it was super low, then closed it and let it sit for five or six hours.
You don't really need to let it sit for hours like that. Just start charging your computer when it goes to sleep after draining it fully and then recharge back to full for calibration. That's what I do and my battery meter is pretty accurate.

My battery does get a little warm while it's charging but nothing like what you are experiencing. It sounds like from your first post that you are only getting 2 hours 30 minutes on a full charge? Is that correct?

It could be that you got a faulty battery or the previous water damage you had somehow affected your battery. Water does seep quickly to other areas once it's pour onto something. Since you are still under warranty they will probably replace the battery for free.

Lastly you aren't allergic to electronics or something are you?...or maybe they just don't like you for some reason. ;D

OP
Jerichoa
Reaction score
An update on the rollercoaster Mac:

I called this morning and they told me to reset the PRAM. Great. My fan's not running fast anymore, and I'm running even HIGHER temperatures. They told me that if it happens again within the next week that they'll probably replace it. It's happened again ALREADY, after I let it sit and cool for an hour and a half.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If they are offering to replace it then you are in luck. You might as well get it replaced now instead of later so that you will have a good functioning computer before school starts.

OP
Jerichoa
Reaction score
Well, my dad said they agreed to give me a new unit. Great! I don't know all of the details, though, because I've been gone. All I know is from the text he sent me which says, "U r gettin new Mac." He's asleep now. Poor guy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.