iTunes backup issue with ipad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
So I decided to exchange my iPad 3G as the clock is off by 4 minutes....a known defect. I backed up my iPad twice....Once last night and then again this morning before going off to the local Apple store. I also wiped the device as i didn't want them to have any of my info. Came back home with the same iPad as all the exchange units have the same issue with the clock so why exchange as mine was working fine otherwise.

Hooked the iPad back up with iTunes to restore from my backup and much to my surprise both backups were nowhere to be found. In fact the last backup I could find was in Apple when I got the device. Called Apple and they have no explanation.

Computer seems to be working fine as I have no the issues. So now vie lost a lot of personal data and pics. How can anyone be sure that the backups you do are actually there? Things like contacts, notes, appts, pics and the likes are not easy to replace even with mobile me, which I have.

Thoughts?

C

chas_m

Sorry, how exactly could you have lost anything? All your apps are backed up in iTunes, all your photos are backed up in iPhoto.

High scores, maybe, but other than that I'm just not understanding. Your iPad doesn't store "personal data" or pics that aren't in iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Do you have stuff in this folder, ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup?

Those are your backup files.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
I checked all the user folders and photo folders and nothing! Of course my apps are there and the pics that I added through iTunes are there but anything that was created with the iPad or downloaded directly to the iPad is missing such as Notes and pics I added through the camera kit I bought. Even though I backed up twice and iTunes showed it was backed up.....when went to do a restore the pics were never put on the computer nor were the notes nor were the two backups. Now I'm completely gun-shy to put anything on the iPad that I'm afraid to loose. Oh....my contacts and calendars were gone as well bunt have mobile me so at least that worked!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so did you look where I told you to see if you have backup files there?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
Ok, so did you look where I told you to see if you have backup files there?

Yes I looked there and it does not exist. I have no idea what happened. I just thought I'd tell my tale so others might be warned. Maybe it's at my end....who knows. Maybe its because I use itunes on a PC instead of a Mac. In the future i will be sur to check to see if backup actually exists. I did notice that some of the older backups have dates whilst others do not....I have no idea why that would happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So this all happened on a Windows machine? Are you sure you somehow didn't delete the files on accident or maybe they were wiped by another program?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
So this all happened on a Windows machine? Are you sure you somehow didn't delete the files on accident or maybe they were wiped by another program?

No I didn't wipe them. Also pretty savvy on the PC but I'm always learning too. I just did a new backup and it saved it but didn't date it.

Who knows what happened but for sure something did happen. I am going to make sure I back up at least once a week so i won't loose to much in the event something happens.

By the way therre is a new software update today for the iPad...3.2.1.

Harry

Reaction score
me too

I have the same problem my ipad backup gone,every two days I made a sync and update all my apps, in some times this process take 2 hours and the status in the top of itunes say "backung up" but today I reinstall the system of my ipad then I try to use my backup and is gone

nothing

my adress book and apps are in my computer but my data n mubers not and is very important files there

what can i do??

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
Don't put anything on the iPad that you can't afford to loose. Thats the lesson I learned. I wish you could hook up a small hard drive to back stuff up but I don't see a way to do so.

Reaction score
eureka

I discover what happen and is a realy big problem

for the beaginig,

1- I have an ipad and a did a backup and sync, thats ok

2- I experiment whit my ipad and install several apps and my ipad get stuck

3- then I put my ipad in dfu mode and reinstall the software again , as new ipad

4- for keep experimenting whit a lot of new apps and stufs I declared my ipad as a new one, only for make experiments

5- here is the issue, and pay attention

in the moment that I creat a new one ipad my old backup disappear for the folder that itunes store the backup.

I recreate this steps naming the ipad "ipad gimme pig" then I made a backup, then I reinstall the software again and in this time name my ipad "the one"

and gess what??

the backup "gimme pig" is gone

conclussion th eitunes back up sucks

if you pretend have more than one ipad backup si not possible

you say, for what reasson i need to sync several ipad in my computer??

well if you have one and your kids have other, you want to control was purchased and so on

Reaction score
riight

you right...

but i bealive that the share file in numbers was automatic and not

you need to perform the sync every time you need the file in your mobile me account.

one more time I learn breaking things

and, excuse my horrible english I learn reading manuals :|

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
you right...

but i bealive that the share file in numbers was automatic and not

you need to perform the sync every time you need the file in your mobile me account.

one more time I learn breaking things

and, excuse my horrible english I learn reading manuals :|

Your English is fine as I understand what you mean. I have three ipads in the house all synced through the same computer. It certainly can cause a problem. I wonder if the macbook handles backups differently and better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
In Vista, the backups are located at /Users/USERNAME/AppData/Roaming/AppleComputer/MobileSync/Backup

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
In Vista, the backups are located at /Users/USERNAME/AppData/Roaming/AppleComputer/MobileSync/Backup

I use Vista on the computer I have iTunes and I looked in this folder already. It's not there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.