1st Generation iPhone dead...ish...

Reaction score
Well,

Last night I plugged my poor, mal-treated, much abused, world traveled, but much loved iPhone into my brand spanking new MacBook Pro to charge. I don't have my iTunes Library synched to this computer as I have not had time to migrate everything over from my old laptop, but I have synched all of my contacts and photos.

While I was surfing away on the internet, my apple updater popped up a window stating that a newer software version was available for Smudge's iPhone. It was version 3 point something or other... I'm usually very dilligent about loading the latest software versions for whatever I own so with out a second thought I clicked "yes" and started the install. It went through process quickly enough, restarted itself and then gave me the prompt saying that the phone was ready to be disconnected. While it was still plugged in and charging, I received and replied to a couple of txt messages. I noticed that the phone was being a little jerky and sluggish so I unpluged it to turn it off and see if that cleared it up. Well, it didn't want to respond at all so I did a hard restart, holding both the home and lock buttons down simultaneaously until the phone reset itself.

And that was that. Now it will not come back on. If I hold down the lock button as though I were going to turn the phone on, the apple symbol shows up as though it were loading normally and then after a few seconds the phone shuts off again. It never gets past the logo screen. If I try a hard reset I get the same results.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? I'm in the Navy and heading out to sea today so I cannot take it to the Apple Store for at least two weeks.

The timing of this fault isn't all bad. I ordered an iPhone 4 a few weeks ago and it is due to arrive tomorrow.(Sometime after I go out to sea!! Grrrr... Love the navy... Grrrrr) Hopefully UPS or FedEx or who ever delivers it will hang on to it for two weeks!!

I resisted ordering the iPhone 3G or 3Gs for years because I had no real need especially since my trusty 1st Gen iPhone has been basically flawless. (except for the cracked screen, but that was my fault!) This poor 1st Gen Phone has literally been all over the world and it is indeed time for it to retire, but I didn't quite have its replacement in hand yet!! Maybe it read my email confirmation of shippment of the iPhone 4 and felt slighted and spurned me...

Come back to life little iPhone! I still need you!! LOL

Thanks for any and all help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 11 inch 2012, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4S(soon to be iphone5), iPad 4g/wifi.
Just wanted to say, I think your loyalty to your first gen iPhone is sweet:D. I have zero willpower. Hope it rallies until you get your iPhone 4.

Steph

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
Maybe if you downloaded an earlier version like 3.0 then plugged your iphone into your pc and see if it will allow you to downgrade, then perhaps it will come back to life. Also how come it told you that 3. something was the latest iphone software when it is actually 4.0?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
Well,

Last night I plugged my poor, mal-treated, much abused, world traveled, but much loved iPhone into my brand spanking new MacBook Pro to charge. I don't have my iTunes Library synched to this computer as I have not had time to migrate everything over from my old laptop, but I have synched all of my contacts and photos.

While I was surfing away on the internet, my apple updater popped up a window stating that a newer software version was available for Smudge's iPhone. It was version 3 point something or other... I'm usually very dilligent about loading the latest software versions for whatever I own so with out a second thought I clicked "yes" and started the install. It went through process quickly enough, restarted itself and then gave me the prompt saying that the phone was ready to be disconnected. While it was still plugged in and charging, I received and replied to a couple of txt messages. I noticed that the phone was being a little jerky and sluggish so I unpluged it to turn it off and see if that cleared it up. Well, it didn't want to respond at all so I did a hard restart, holding both the home and lock buttons down simultaneaously until the phone reset itself.

And that was that. Now it will not come back on. If I hold down the lock button as though I were going to turn the phone on, the apple symbol shows up as though it were loading normally and then after a few seconds the phone shuts off again. It never gets past the logo screen. If I try a hard reset I get the same results.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? I'm in the Navy and heading out to sea today so I cannot take it to the Apple Store for at least two weeks.

The timing of this fault isn't all bad. I ordered an iPhone 4 a few weeks ago and it is due to arrive tomorrow.(Sometime after I go out to sea!! Grrrr... Love the navy... Grrrrr) Hopefully UPS or FedEx or who ever delivers it will hang on to it for two weeks!!

I resisted ordering the iPhone 3G or 3Gs for years because I had no real need especially since my trusty 1st Gen iPhone has been basically flawless. (except for the cracked screen, but that was my fault!) This poor 1st Gen Phone has literally been all over the world and it is indeed time for it to retire, but I didn't quite have its replacement in hand yet!! Maybe it read my email confirmation of shippment of the iPhone 4 and felt slighted and spurned me...

Come back to life little iPhone! I still need you!! LOL

Thanks for any and all help!

Once you have the iP4 in hand you will gently lay your 3 in the gutter and never ever look back! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor
Maybe if you downloaded an earlier version like 3.0 then plugged your iphone into your pc and see if it will allow you to downgrade, then perhaps it will come back to life. Also how come it told you that 3. something was the latest iphone software when it is actually 4.0?

iOS 4.0 isn't compatible with iPhone 1st Generation.

OP
S
Reaction score
Right, 4.0 doesn't work on the 1st Gen iPhones... I'm really bummed right now becasue I'm stuck out to sea for two weeks and don't have access to my Aps and can't listen to my music unless I sit in my workspace with the computer. Just downloaded Crayon Physics and was having a blast with it, but never synched it to my laptop! Doh! If I don't revive the old phone, I think I'll have to pay for it again to load it on my new iP4... :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.