Networking 2 Macs

Reaction score
I am hoping someone can guide me to the best way to do this...

I have a Macbook now. Its a few years old (love it by the way!) I just took the plunge and ordered a new IMac for home use. Can I network the 2 together using WiFi and access the information that is on the laptop? We also have a few PC's in the house (I am the only Mac owner) I am going to have to move my ITunes and IPhoto libraries to the IMac also and not quite sure how to do that. Ideally i would like to be able to take the laptop and work on it and come home and turn it on and access the documents from the IMac. I am not really a tech kind of person on the Mac, I just like to do what I need to do quick and easy like! I never have really played with the settings either so I don't really know what it is capable of!

Thanks for any guidance you all can offer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
They should detect each other over the wifi network and appear in the left bar of finder.

C

chas_m

Just to add to SweetCosmicPope's answer, by default the only thing that can be seen on another Mac on the network is the Public folder of a logged-in user.

If you want to share other things, you have to set that up yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.