mouse pointer with dual monitors

Reaction score
I work as a video editor, and recently we upgraded our systems to version 10.6.4 with dual 24" monitors. It's pretty sweet.

The processor is a double quad core 2.66 GHz Intel Xeon (I admit I don't know how relevant that is), with 12 GB of memory and 512 mb of Video memory (NVIDIA GeForce GT 120).

Ok, so, everything's fine until we install the second monitor, using Matrox Powerdesk. Now, when using the mouse, every 10 seconds or so, there is a lag and the mouse pointer stops moving, then jumps to catch up and ends up going wacky.

I've looked up stuff about this (ooh, actually it just happened now only with the keyboard catching up), and while "mouse jump dual monitor" brings stuff up in Google, it's never quite what I'm experiencing. For them it's more like the mouse pointer jumps to the corner of the screen or something.

Anyway, this is intolerable. :D I work 8-12 hours a day on this thing and I need the mouse to be precise. As it is I can barely stand it.

Anyway, that's my problem. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
A quality BlueTooth may be the route to go. What I should have asked is first is this a USB mouse? Is the secondary monitor using the USB port?

And is bluetooth even an option? A little more information in re the way you hook it up may help to better troubleshoot.

OP
M
Reaction score
the next bit

it is a USB mouse. I've been to get a new one from the surly IT guy. (But it's ok because he's my friend and he's surly on purpose)

Honestly, I think it's the dual monitor setup, because there is a piece of kit that basically splits the monitor into two... And it's a USB thing.

OK, waitaminnit. It uses the special Apple monitor plug that the laptops use and you're screwed if you show up at a presentation and don't have one handy. It turns that one into the second monitor signal.

I mean, it works. I have an awesome huge desktop. The problem is the mouse not being able to keep up. My instinct is to think: VIDEO MEMORY but who knows?

Bluetooth, huh? Strangely, I have one in my bag that I keep for emergencies. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You don't say what model of Mac you have. Your specs ("Xeon," etc.) seem to suggest you are using a Mac Pro.

If you have a Mac Pro, there is no need for the Matrox Powerdesk product. You should be driving both monitors off of the internal graphics card(s)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
If the video is running off of the USB, then I would recommend a BlueTooth mouse. The USB is the issue. I've seen this before, as I have had the issue. It becomes an issue if the Mac you have does nor support BT.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.