MBP cannot "see" HDD

Reaction score
Hi all.
About 6 months ago I replaced my HDD with a larger one in my MBP 15" without any hassle.
Recently the MBP crashed the videocard and I had to send it in for repair to get the logicboard replaced. Before I send it I replaced my new HDD with the old one so I wouldn't lose any data if it should happen during the repair.
When I got the MBP back and turned it on as it was with the original HDD and everything went just fine. I then turned it off and switched the HDD and then I got a folder with a ? blinking instead of booting.
I replaced the new HDD with the old but still a blinking ? apears :\

I have tried booting from install discs and using the HDD tool I can see that the MBP only sees the DVD drive and not any HDD at all! With both HDD!
I have checked the cables for the HDD again and again but everything looks fine.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Roed

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
New logic board? Try resetting the PRAM/NVRAM after inserting the newer hard drive.

Let us know if that works.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you for you replay.
Yes the repair note says that the logicboard has been changed.

I have now tried resetting as you mentioned and I got the two start sounds when I did but that did not change the state of of the HDD.
I still get the blinking folder with a ? :(

Any other advice and can try out?

Thanks,
Roed

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure the drive is firmly in place and making good contact with its connector. You might also want to check the cable which goes from the logic board to the hard drive itself. Both ends need to be snug and firmly in place.

Sounds like something may have come loose in the process of swapping out the drives. Just be careful with the cable and the connector - especially the one that's on the logic board. It can be easily damaged so handle with care.

If you have any doubt about the cable, go to the iFixit: The free repair manual web site and look up the step by step take down for your model MBP.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It looks like I have found the reason!

The flat cobber like cable connecting the HDD with the logicboard (as on the picture attached here) has a small cut where the cable splits in two and the connector to the HDD is located :(
It only looks like it has cut the threads that are connecting the two other cables at the other end, to the IR and power LED, but maybe that is enough.

So the question is can I buy such a cable anywhere?

Thanks again,
Roed

MlsCv4NMOljdCAPG.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure you can buy the cable somewhere, however, the first thing I would do is take it on back to where you had the logic board replaced and let them deal with it. That cable had to be disconnected in order to change out the logic board and that cut didn't get there by itself. If you have to, see the manager of the Apple store or wherever the replacement was done.

If you need further help with this or replacing the cable yourself, post back and we'll try to find one for you.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. But the MBP worked fine when I first got it back from the repair center so it is probably my own fault and they have also tested it before returning it so I am not sure I will get anything out of going back.

So if it is possible to buy such a cable I think I will proceed this way instead. It is probably faster and easier :)
Can a Mac dealer here in Denmark get me one?

Thanks,
Roed

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would still take it on back as that cable cut (split) was probably due to them changing out the board. However, that's up to you of course. And yes, an authorized Apple dealer in Denmark should be able to order the part for you. I imagine that it would have to be ordered from Apple UK.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.