Tunneling (or Putty) for Mac

Reaction score
Hi All ..
I'm new here and i need a bit of help with the mac
Basically what i need is a putty for my mac
Now i know i don't "really" need one - since i have the terminal, but the thing is i don't know how to define slightly more complex connection settings - such as tunneling. (i want to have the possibility to use my UNI computer from home)

if anyone knows the answer, you'll be saving me many hours! thanks! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
Tunneling?

If you simply want to ssh into a remote computer:

ssh <ipaddress> -l <username>

Reaction score
if you want to tunnel a port, it's pretty easy at the command line.

sudo ssh username@servername -L:80:192.168.x.x:80 for instance will invoke a tunnel for port 80 to the specified address.

You need to use 'sudo' if your going to tunnel ports < 1024 as they are privileged

Reaction score
need help with terminal for mac

Hi All. This is gonna be a little long . Please bare with me
I've been trying to use terminal just like spaceyoo for months , but I've never been able to. Please please help me. I'm gonna show u how I connect using putty in windows and I need someone to help me connect using mac. I really don't understand most of the terminology you guys use here like tunneling and port forwarding. I just wanna connect.

In windows The changes I made in putty were the following:

In the Seesion window, I typed in the IP address: ftp.xxxx.uni.edu Port 22 connection type: SSH

Then, when you click the + sign besides connection and the + besides SSH, click Tunnel and then you can see new spaces. In the space Destination I typed: www-yyyy.uni.edu and the source port : 8000.

Finally, when I go to internet explorer, tools, options, I click on connection tab then Lan setting. In the window that appears, under proxy server, Address: localhost, Port: 8000.
With these settings I can type in my username and password and get connected.

In mac, When I open Terminal, I was told type ssh -X 8000:localhost:8000 [email protected]

then type in my username and password to get connected. When I do that terminal shows a text similar to that shown by putty after I type in my user name and pass. But when I open Safari nothing happens.
I tried to go to Preferences, network, advanced, proxies, web proxy http and play with it but I couldn't.

I asked many people and some told me to type in ssh -l or ssh -N but none could work. I also tried to ssh -l [email protected] without the localhost bit but no luck.

I've been using windows for 5 months and I hate it. I wanna connect my mac and get my life back to normal.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
With Windows and putty - you are doing the same thing. Basically you ssh to a server - then port forward through that server a tcp port for some service from another computer usually behind the firewall. So I think you are close but I believe you need to type (note capital L is important)

Code:
ssh -L 8000:www-yyyy.uni.edu:8000 [email protected]

Once you type that in - you will be portforwarding port 8000 of www-yyyy.uni.edu to localhost:8000 - 127.0.0.1:8000. Also the ssh command opens a ssh session on ftp.xxxx.uni.edu - you need to keep that ssh session alive so that ssh keeps forwarding port 8000. The easiest way to keep it alive is to run top. Anyway - it seems that you are going to a website of some sort - so the proxy should be fine again - localhost, port:8000

Reaction score
Wow man. You are truly a legend. Thank you very much.

Everything works fine except for µtorrent and Mail! I thought mail uses the same settings Safari uses. but it isn't a big deal

Thanks again Ivan.

Reaction score
Is there a way to automate the log-in process, instead of typing in the code line and my password every time?
and can I connect my iphone to the internet just like I did with my mac. I actually bought an ssh application but it couldn't help.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.