Please help, this is driving me crazy!

Reaction score
Every browser on my new eMac keeps crashing. It was fine the day I got it in the mail and the next day to. But today my browsers keep crashing and I got the "Please restart your computer" screen three times. I really don't want to switch back to my PC because then I feel like I just wasted my money on something that can't even run flash player without crashing.

Also, when I restarted after the second crash it asked for my user accounts password, but I never set one. All is well with this problem though, the PW is gone.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Every browser on my new eMac keeps crashing. It was fine the day I got it in the mail and the next day to.

Let's be a bit more clear. This eMac is "new" to you...but it is not a new eMac. The eMac line of computers was discontinued in October, 2005. The first eMac's were introduced in April, 2002. So this computer is somewhere between 5-8 years old.

The age of the computer may or may not have a bearing on the issue of the browsers crashing. But to get a better idea of what we are dealing with, can you please let us know what the specifications are on your eMac (processor speed, amount of ram, and what version of the Mac OS are you running)?

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Otherwise, do you mean iMac?..... and even then, as per Nick's request, can you please provide the specs?

OP
W
Reaction score
Yes, I know it's not "new" I did some research on the eMacs while I was awaiting it. While I was typing this my Mac was booting, it gave me the "Please restart" This is making me sad and disappointed.

Here are specs I know for a fact.

1.25 GHZ processor
1 GB ram
Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes, I know it's not "new" ...

When you write a post about a "used" Macintosh computer...you really shouldn't use the word "new"...unless you say "new to me".:)

As far as the problem. One very important problem to consider...the 1.25ghz eMac's were infamously known for a swollen, bulging, and/or leaking capacitor issue. Your eMac may or may not have this...but there is a high possibility.

Give this a read if you haven't heard about it before:

eMac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only way to be positive it to remove the back cover of the eMac & look. Eliminating this as a problem or not first...may help before trying other ideas.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.