Imac G5 - Overheating or Me Worry too much ?

S

steveapp

Im worried my imac G5 is overheating - ive installed a temperature monitoring application and its claiming the temperatures of my machine get up to 70c for all three measurements, hard drive sensor, cpu and the hard drive smart sensor.

Now reading around on the web it reccommends that the hard drives run at 30 to 40 c max, and that the extreme range is 60c for the original 80 gig baracuda drive, or 55c for the maxtor 250 gig drive i purchased.

Worryingly though sites suggest that a drive is twice as likely to fail every 10c it goes above 40 ish.

Im concerned about this - and am ready to take it back for repairs but dont want to if im making a mountain out of a mole hill

The screen has a pale smudge that appears when the machine has run a little while and gets hot which leads me to think there is a problem...

Any thoughts gratefully recieved - for information I ran it without the rear cover on and the hd never went over 40c

What temps to other peoples imac g5's run at ?

I should say its an original revision A uk spec machine, 1.8 gig / 256mb / 80gig drive. I upped the ram to 1 gig in two dimms and also have had a 250 gig drive in there - but it runs the same temperature with all configurations of the above.

Also of note the led overheat warning on the motherboard isnt coming on - but then again it runs ok with the back off so would never see it.

Long post - thanks for reading - hope someone can help

Cheers

Stephen

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Your best bet is to fire off an email to Apple about it.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
Don't Do it!

Whatever you do Don't take the advice that was offered to take the back off and start poking around. I've had the same problem and know how you feel. I contacted Apple and they are more than willing to help, although they did send me to a repair center first who said it was a software problem and charged me money for that. When I spoke to Apple about this they told me to get my money back and then another Major Apple repairer sent a courier to pick my G5 up. I'm just waiting to hear from them and when I do I'll let you know. Have faith in MAC I nearly lost it.

steveapp said:
Im worried my imac G5 is overheating - ive installed a temperature monitoring application and its claiming the temperatures of my machine get up to 70c for all three measurements, hard drive sensor, cpu and the hard drive smart sensor.

Now reading around on the web it reccommends that the hard drives run at 30 to 40 c max, and that the extreme range is 60c for the original 80 gig baracuda drive, or 55c for the maxtor 250 gig drive i purchased.

Worryingly though sites suggest that a drive is twice as likely to fail every 10c it goes above 40 ish.

Im concerned about this - and am ready to take it back for repairs but dont want to if im making a mountain out of a mole hill

The screen has a pale smudge that appears when the machine has run a little while and gets hot which leads me to think there is a problem...

Any thoughts gratefully recieved - for information I ran it without the rear cover on and the hd never went over 40c

What temps to other peoples imac g5's run at ?

I should say its an original revision A uk spec machine, 1.8 gig / 256mb / 80gig drive. I upped the ram to 1 gig in two dimms and also have had a 250 gig drive in there - but it runs the same temperature with all configurations of the above.

Also of note the led overheat warning on the motherboard isnt coming on - but then again it runs ok with the back off so would never see it.

Long post - thanks for reading - hope someone can help

Cheers

Stephen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
70 degrees centigrade all around does seem to be a bit high...i'd definately call apple asap or bring it to an apple store

on a lighter note you could start up your own "apple restaurant" and advertise that you are the only restaurant in the world to cook on an iMac...okayimretarded....:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
Just an update. Apple sent someone to collect my G5 and take it for repair at a different service center. They have just phoned to say that the problem is the logic board and they will replace it so give Apple a ring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
coach_z said:
70 degrees centigrade all around does seem to be a bit high...i'd definately call apple asap or bring it to an apple store

on a lighter note you could start up your own "apple restaurant" and advertise that you are the only restaurant in the world to cook on an iMac...okayimretarded....:(

LOL... a chain of apple resteraunts.

OP
B

badmojo

My fans spin up quite a bit too, but I'm just trusting that Apple engineers know what they're doing. Oh...and I'm getting the Apple care package.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The Revision A's had lots of problems in Europe with the logic board problems

Reaction score
70 degrees...wow, I am surprised the thing would still function at that temp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.