File names not displaying

Reaction score
Hello,

I need some help with displaying file names that has foreign languages in it. I have a text file with Japanese titles that comes out in jumbled symbols like "àÍâûÇ®ì«Ç›Ç≠ÇæÇ≥Ç¢" (attached screenshot) and I can't seem to have it show in Japanese without having to change my whole OS language to Japanese, which otherwise displays everything just fine. Opening the file in textedit is the same, too; I get a wall of symbols. I'm using U.S English currently.

I'm also having the same unicode problem with importing Japanese or Chinese songs with file names in its original language into itunes only to have symbols show up also. Is there any fix for this? I've been googling for days and can't really find an answer.

Thanks!

Screen shot 2010-07-15 at 20.47.56.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know what it is that you're not doing... but I routinely receive files that have Korean Hangul file names and they show up correctly in the Finder and also in MS Word.

However, what I did to allow that: is System Preferences, Language & Text. Click on the Input Sources tab. Place a checkmark in Japanese, Chinese, or whatever other foreign language you choose. Select (check off) Show input menu in menu bar.

Try that. See if it works for you, it should.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yeah, all such languages (which I can't read) are checked by default, as I've never gone in and edited the list. A bunch of languages are checked. I don't know why, I doubt I'd notice a difference if I unchecked everything but English. Or would I?

OP
E
Reaction score
I don't know what it is that you're not doing... but I routinely receive files that have Korean Hangul file names and they show up correctly in the Finder and also in MS Word.

However, what I did to allow that: is System Preferences, Language & Text. Click on the Input Sources tab. Place a checkmark in Japanese, Chinese, or whatever other foreign language you choose. Select (check off) Show input menu in menu bar.

Try that. See if it works for you, it should.

Regards.

My language inputs are already checked, Chinese, Japanese and English since I type in them frequently. Doesn't work though, my files are still gibberish. Under my languages tab I have my languages set as English, Japanese, Chinese in that order too. But it doesn't seem to help.

Edit: Just FYI, this text files were downloaded from Japanese websites and possibly encoded from a Japanese computer, so somehow I can't help but think it has to do with the original encoding of the file from its source that my mac isn't supporting? I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.4 by the way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.