500GB Seagate Momentus 7200.4 HD upgrade... ... Need reinsurance....

Reaction score
I upgraded the stock internal 250GB HD - 5400RPM on my 2010 Macbook Pro 13” to a Seagate 500GB HD – 7200RPM. Bought from OWC. I have noticed a few things so far, and I was wondering if it has happened to you as well, and if it is normal.

#1 - Booting time.
With the stock Toshiba 250GB (5400RPM), my Macbook Pro 13" would start up faster. With the new Seagate 500GB (7200RPM) installed, now it takes longer to boot up, for some reasons. The delay is not something unbearable, but I can definitely notice the difference.
Question #1: Has this happened to anyone else when they have upgraded to a "supposedly" better HD?

#2 - With the stock Toshiba 250GB (5400RPM), my Macbook Pro very randomly would get hot. Now with the new HD in there, I can notice the heat since the moment I turn it on. For example, right now the only app I have running is Safari with only one window and two tabs open and as I put my hand on the back where the HD is, it's consistently hot. Not extremely hot, I hope you understand what I am trying to say. See... ... with the stock Apple HD, the Toshiba one, doing the same thing I am doing in this very moment, wouldn't dissipate eat and even if it were, it would be barely noticeable.

Question #2: Is it ok for the Macbook Pro 13" to always be "warm/slightly hot", as I predict it will keep being this way with the new HD in it?

Question #3: Am I going to be faced with any collateral effects? (ex: battery performance diminishing, internal electric failure risk, over-heating etc...) etc...) It worries me, because at the end of the day, I could live without a 7200RPM HD, if it causes issues to my Macbook Pro 13". Hopefully you see where I am coming from.

Question #4: Any thoughts on the HD I bought? It's a Seagate Momentus 7200.4. This is the link to see it with full specs - 500GB 2.5" Seagate Momentus 7200.4 7200RPM... (ST9500420AS) at OWC - If you thing there are better ones that may heat-up a little less, boot-up a little faster than what I am experiencing, feel free to share what you have and what your experiences have been so far with what you have. I appreciate it.

By the way, I am loving my Macbook Pro 13". I use as my main computer. I don't have a desktop anymore. I am fairly new to Mac's and so i would hate to do something that may hinder its full optimal performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
I have the same exact drive an it works great. The only thing I have noticed is the start up issue as you outlined above. as far as the heat is concerned, it does get hot, with the drive we have or with another. The aluminum uni-body is designed to dissipate the heat in this manner. The only down side to this is my own paranoia as far as the heat is concerned. The heat dissipation is absolutely normal.

An educated guess is while the drive is larger, it does spin faster due to speed increase in the RPMs. That would attribute a slight increase in the heat dissipation. My guess as far as booting is concerned is it is a considerably larger drive and it takes it a little longer to seek the disk for all of the startup files, mounting etc....

The last one is simply a theory and maybe someone can give a better answer than me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I have the Hitachi TravelStar with same specs. Start up takes 40 seconds with typing in password. Shut down 10-15 seconds. I didn't notice how quickly it open applications until recently I tried opening Word with a display model at the store with the 5400 rpm drive. Seems like mine open twice as fast. The drive does get warm if it spins continuously for more than half hour but normally I don't feel any heat coming from it. I usually have Mail and Safari open all the time. It shouldn't get warm at all but I guess it depends on what you are doing with Safari.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.