Full Water Bottle of Nalgene on MBP Unibody - TIER 4

Reaction score
I have insurance and it's covered on my own personal rider insurance . . .

My cat knocked over a full bottle of nalgene water on my MBP unibody 15" the other day.

The computer won't start up and it's just shows half of a white screen. It looks like water got into the LCD while I was turning it over and around trying to get the water out and shorted something out.

I took out the battery and HD and the back cover and literally, EVERYTHING is wet. and I mean EVERYTHING. It was A LOT of water. A LOT. The hard drive even had water in it. (I'm sure tilting it and shaking it to get the water out didn't help).

My question is . . I just sent my MBP to apple and my insurance is paying the $1300 to get it repaired. I know I have 90 days on all the new parts from Apple.

Does Apple truely replace EVERYTHING regardless of cost? I'm just basically wanting to a run down on this process. Because like a car that's been in a flood, there is a possibility that it will have tons of future problems due to the water damage. I don't want this to happen to my MBP. My fear is that I will have issues in the future with parts that apple will NOT replace that will be affected long term by the water.

Also, if apples has to replace EVERY component, will they? Or will they just call me and tell me to just get a new computer because it'll cost less.

Thanks for your help. I'm just curious. Computer is already shipped out.

OP
P
Reaction score
elastics and

I've asked these questions to the people at the Genius bar and to my amazement (normally they can be perceived as "know it alls") they weren't really absolutely 100% sure. They basically just said I'd hear back from Apple within 24 hrs.

I just want my computer to be in the condition it was before the water.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Apple will either replace all the parts, or get back to you that the repair outweighs the cost of a new machine, which will be on your insurance company.

C

chas_m

I have insurance and it's covered on my own personal rider insurance . . .

My cat knocked over a full bottle of nalgene water on my MBP unibody 15" the other day.

<RANT> I love how people blame the pets. Unless your cat can carry the bottle of water over to your computer, this is YOUR FAULT, not the cat's fault. YOU put liquids too close to your computer.</RANT>

Does Apple truely replace EVERYTHING regardless of cost? I'm just basically wanting to a run down on this process.

Most likely they'll replace the machine with one just like it and swap hard drives. If you're exceptionally lucky, they won't have any just like it and have to give you a new(er) one.

For the record, water doesn't actually do any harm to electronics that are turned off at the time (or sometimes immediately after the spill). If opened up and left to dry, most electronics will fully recover.

Any drinks with sugar or acid in them, however, and you're done. Even if you get the machine dried out, the sugars will remain and slowly eat at your computers like termites on rotting wood.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Mark one up for the CATS again!!!;)

- Nick

p.s. Of course the human left the water bottle in a bad place...with the top off!

OP
P
Reaction score
No, this is completely not my fault. It was 100% the cat's fault. Even the insurance company said so. Heck, even my cat said so. He said, "Meow, it's all my fault muwahahaha." They just can't sue him because well, he's a cat. Plus, the whole you can't sue a cat thing. Here's what happened, He went to the kitchen, got the water out of the faucet, came back and then looked at me, smiled and then poured it all over my computer.

I saw it all happen with my own eyes. Apparently it happens all the time with cats from what they told me. They said not to take blame and feel bad, it happens to the best of us and the liability is all on the cat. Oh those crazy cats.

While I appreciate the replies, obviously this was my fault, my retarded uncle's gay niece on welfare knows that. I got on this board to get information I didn't know about a specific topic, not to be lectured on the obvious like who's fault it was, especially from people whose first name I don't even know. If that's the extent of you knowledge on this subject, "Uh, derrrr, it's your fault, rolled eyes." By all means post, I'd like to hear more of your amazing knowledgeable wisdom on the obvious . . . . . . .

But seriously, for those of you that can actually contribute to this tread to help myself and others (besides: "Keep water away from electronics har har har") . . .

I would appreciate the response . . .

Has anyone had any experience with Apple saying something is "beyond economical repair" on a tier 4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
For the record, water doesn't actually do any harm to electronics that are turned off at the time (or sometimes immediately after the spill). If opened up and left to dry, most electronics will fully recover.

Must disagree chas_m!

Water ain't water, and even if water were just water...
Distilled water maybe not, and depends on how quickly and thoroughly this was reversed.
Reversing this would mean getting into every nook and cranny! Doing this would mean de soldering every component, and then taking many of the components apart, which would be physically impossible without destroying these components!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While I appreciate the replies, obviously this was my fault, my retarded uncle's gay niece on welfare knows that.

I got on this board to get information I didn't know about a specific topic, not to be lectured on the obvious like who's fault it was, especially from people whose first name I don't even know. If that's the extent of you knowledge on this subject, "Uh, derrrr, it's your fault, rolled eyes." By all means post, I'd like to hear more of your amazing knowledgeable wisdom on the obvious

Obviously you were offended by some of the comments made in this thread...but to be honest when you post on an internet forum (for everyone in the world to see)...you have to be willing to accept the comments you agree with & the ones you don't agree with.

As far as being offensive. You made this statement:

"While I appreciate the replies, obviously this was my fault, my retarded uncle's gay niece on welfare knows that."

- Is your uncle's niece really gay?
- Is your uncle really retarded?

I'm willing to bet that they are not as you say...and that you made an immature choice of words. These statements are just as (or maybe even more) offensive than anything mentioned in this thread about the damage to your computer.

So before you accuse others of being offensive...you should work on being less offensive yourself!

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Obviously you were offended by some of the comments made in this thread...but to be honest when you post on an internet forum (for everyone in the world to see)...you have to be willing to accept the comments you agree with & the ones you don't agree with.

As far as being offensive. You made this statement:

"While I appreciate the replies, obviously this was my fault, my retarded uncle's gay niece on welfare knows that."

- Is your uncle's niece really gay?
- Is your uncle really retarded?

I'm willing to bet that they are not as you say...and that you made an immature choice of words. These statements are just as (or maybe even more) offensive than anything mentioned in this thread about the damage to your computer.

So before you accuse others of being offensive...you should work on being less offensive yourself!

- Nick

Touche Nick. Fair enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, Pooky got a little Spooky :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Touche Nick. Fair enough.

"Pooky"...thanks for being understanding!:)

We REALLY get many many of these "liquid spillage" questions from members (especially newer members)...and you would be surprised how many of these "problems" are caused (or at least involve) CATS!!!;)

This doesn't just involve cats knocking over beverage containers onto folks laptops...but also cats stepping on keyboard keys (and messing up settings), cats chewing on electrical cords, and cats knocking laptops onto the floor from a desk or tabletop (and serious damage occurring)!:(

The one thing I haven't heard yet is a cat taking a "dump" or a "whizz" on someone's laptop...but I'm sure it will happen eventually!;) Ha ha!

The vast majority of folks here are just trying to help (including all the folks replying in this thread)!:)

- Nick

p.s. I'm really glad that this damage to your laptop is covered by your insurance!:) Many many folks with liquid damage are pretty much "hosed"...since the Apple warranty doesn't cover this sort thing...and they don't have insurance that covers the accident. I can just imagine how devastating it would be to have saved & saved BIG BUCKS for a nice new Apple laptop, then have a beverage spilled on it, and the damage not covered by any sort of insurance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This isn't why I'm a dog person, but my dog definitely shows more respect to me and my belongings :)
**images removed...please resize**

Reaction score
Just a note to those who post large images. Many of us only have a screen resolution of 1280 pixels (or less) wide. Now we have to scroll side to side as well as down to read posts. Please consider using smaller resolution images.

Thanks! (by the way, cute dog!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, thanks, and so sorry you have to scroll side to side :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
But seriously, for those of you that can actually contribute to this tread to help myself and others (besides: "Keep water away from electronics har har har") . . .

Unfortunately, that is probably the most valuable lesson you can learn from this, so it's a pretty valid suggestion considering.

I'm also a little concerned about your rudeness in this post.

At Mac-Forums, it's important that everyone is treated with respect, even those you might disagree with on a topic.

The Community Guidelines state:

Play nice.
Our community is made up of all kinds of different people, and all of them have the right to feel comfortable. Others may not think the way that you think, believe what you believe, know what you know, or see what you see. Always be polite and respectful in your interactions with others.

Thanks for understanding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro (2009)
No, this is completely not my fault. It was 100% the cat's fault. Even the insurance company said so. Heck, even my cat said so. He said, "Meow, it's all my fault muwahahaha." They just can't sue him because well, he's a cat. Plus, the whole you can't sue a cat thing. Here's what happened, He went to the kitchen, got the water out of the faucet, came back and then looked at me, smiled and then poured it all over my computer.

I saw it all happen with my own eyes. Apparently it happens all the time with cats from what they told me. They said not to take blame and feel bad, it happens to the best of us and the liability is all on the cat. Oh those crazy cats.

I cant stop laughing :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

OP
P
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that is probably the most valuable lesson you can learn from this, so it's a pretty valid suggestion considering.

I'm also a little concerned about your rudeness in this post.

At Mac-Forums, it's important that everyone is treated with respect, even those you might disagree with on a topic.

The Community Guidelines state:

Thanks for understanding!

I'm sorry. It won't happen again. :|

OP
P
Reaction score
Okay, so I got rid of the cat. Help me come up with something creative and believable to tell my wife.

No, just joking.

I'm just waiting on a phone call from Apple!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, so I got rid of the cat. Help me come up with something creative and believable to tell my wife.

No, just joking.

Here's an idea...tell your wife you got rid of the cat..and get a Guinea Pig instead.;)

Guinea Pigs are a MUCH more laptop "friendly" pet (since they usually stay in a cage)!:)

guinea-pig-weight-l_786613i.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.