Apple Press Conference Friday --

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Apple generally plans press events pretty carefully from what I've seen. Regardless of what the content is, it should be interesting. I wonder if they will field questions from the audience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I'm curious to know what they are going to talk about. It would be good if they addressed the antenna issue in more detail and I'm assuming that's what they are going to talk about. It's definitely been a PR problem for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Considering Apple's 'It just works' ethos I sure hope this conference is to address the iPhone 4's signal/antenna issue because keeping quiet about it any longer is just going to create a bigger PR nightmare for them, and I hope that they offer a better solution other than 'buy a case' or 'learn to hold it a different way'. Those aren't things you want to be told when you've bought an expensive phone such as this!

The signal issue for me hasn't resulted in any dropped calls (yet) but the data performance is terrible compared to that of my 3G!

This should be interesting... :Confused:

EDIT: on another note regarding my iPhone, I have just noticed that the left screw at the bottom (when looking at the iPhone front on) is sticking out a fair bit (enough to be caught by things in your pocket etc). I'm certain this wasn't like this when I bought the phone, so either I've been dismantling my iPhone in my sleep or the screw is slowly working itself loose?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
EDIT: on another note regarding my iPhone, I have just noticed that the left screw at the bottom (when looking at the iPhone front on) is sticking out a fair bit (enough to be caught by things in your pocket etc). I'm certain this wasn't like this when I bought the phone, so either I've been dismantling my iPhone in my sleep or the screw is slowly working itself loose?

That is enough reason to take it back to Apple.

Reaction score

lol so screw it back in man.....jeez you ever picked up a screwdriver before?

Reaction score
I am expecting Apple to announce that they are giving out free bumpers to all iPhone 4 owners....anything less and I'll be pretty angry about this. The iPhone 4 is terrible without a case on it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
lol so screw it back in man.....jeez you ever picked up a screwdriver before?

I tried with the smallest screwdriver I have and it doesn't seem to wanna go anywhere (the screwdriver wasn't small enough to correctly fit and I didn't want to force it incase it destroyed the screw head). Plus, when you spend this much money on a phone you want it to be absolutely perfect, you don't wanna have to do DIY fix-its, screw bits in or have to cover it up with a bumper case or whatever just so that it works as advertised, am I crazy for thinking this?

Reaction score
no you're not crazy......but getting the proper screwdriver to screw in a loose screw aint no big deal.....the stupid reception issue is pure crap IMO, they need to make it right for sure!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I or whatever just so that it works as advertised, am I crazy for thinking this?

Because God knows that no manufacturer ever has problems...I think you're being a little over dramatic expecting everything to be perfect on every item ever produced. Mistakes and problems happen.

Take it back to Apple, I'm sure they'll fix or replace it. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Because God knows that no manufacturer ever has problems...I think you're being a little over dramatic expecting everything to be perfect on every item ever produced. Mistakes and problems happen.

Take it back to Apple, I'm sure they'll fix or replace it. ;)

I know that pretty much every product has a certain percentage fail rate, its a fact of life and what you get when mass producing things, it's just annoying, but if Apple address the issues and work out a solution then fair do.

I suppose its not a company making a mistake that annoys people as much as how they then choose to deal with that mistake. I have never had to take anything back that I have bought from Apple so this experience is new to me (which is probably why I'm being a little over dramatic).

I'm going to wait and see what comes out of tomorrow's event and then if I get chance pop into the Apple store over the weekend.

Question, if they replace your handset do you have to bring back everything (box etc) or do they just replace the handset?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Question, if they replace your handset do you have to bring back everything (box etc) or do they just replace the handset?

They'll just replace the phone. My friend had his replaced recently due to the "sim" issue.

But be ready, you almost certainly won't get a new one right away, they'll have to order one for your replacement, then they'll contact you when its ready.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Heheh,

Engadget said:
Apple to hold iPhone 4; Press conference Friday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blk MacBook 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD OS X & iPhone 4 32GB
I am expecting Apple to announce that they are giving out free bumpers to all iPhone 4 owners....anything less and I'll be pretty angry about this. The iPhone 4 is terrible without a case on it
Rumors are also saying that they might just give a $30 credit for accessories, cause some of us already bought the bumper, like me. :D lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Rumors are also saying that they might just give a $30 credit for accessories, cause some of us already bought the bumper, like me. :D lol

I would honestly not mind a credit. I got a case from ebay for just 1 buck, and it's awesome. It's the reason why I returned the bumper. It offers NO protection of any kind but the sides...or to help with the reception...hmmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

Don't just try to screw it in. When they put the phones together they put a little blue gel on the tips of the screws. When they unscrew that gel comes loose and that's how they know to void your warranty. You can try to screw it back in, but if that gel has already been stripped loose you might be SOL should you have to bring it in later for a problem. I'd go ahead and inform them of the loose screw if I were you.

A $30 credit would be a slap in the face of the consumer. If there truly is a hardware problem as Consumer Reports suggests the best move Apple could make is to actually fix the problem, not cover it up. A lot of people absolutely love the way the phone looks and don't want to cover it up, so to them a $30 accessory credit won't fix the problem. Apple definitely dropped the ball (call?!) on this one IF it does turn out to be a hardware problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But here's another story saying it's software, not hardware:

AppleInsider | iPhone 4 antenna issues due to 'weakness' in software, may be fixable - NYT

So it will be interesting to see what happens today.

I'm giving Apple a little slack on this one and their almost schizo reaction to it, because if the "experts" can't even agree whether it's a hardware or software issue, Apple's not going to know for sure either until they've had time to do a full investigation.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I guess time will tell. We shall see what Apple has to say tomorrow 10AM PST! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess time will tell. We shall see what Apple has to say tomorrow 10AM PST! :D

Don't you mean today? You've worked too hard :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Don't you mean today? You've worked too hard :)

I have been working on a lot of stuff this evening and did not even have the time to stop and think it was already Friday since I have not even slept! Sorry! Yes, Today Friday! :D

One last Windows machine that has a DNS hijack somewhere. Off to sleep. Finish it after the press conference! :D

EDIT: People always ask me why I use Macs and OSX for my personal usage. After a late night sessions like this, I don't want to see another Windows system till the next one I repair! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.