New hard drive + New OS + Time Machine

Reaction score
Hey all! Quick question:

So I've used Time Machine in the past to restore a system on my wife's Macbook bit for bit after installing a new hard drive using this article:
The Secret of the Time Machine-Assisted Hard Drive Swap

However, I am about to install a new hard drive in my Macbook Pro, but also would like to upgrade to OS 10.6 at the same time. Does anyone know whether, if I boot from the OS 10.6 disc after installing the new hard drive, and then restore my system from Time Machine (even though my Time Machine backups were from OS 10.5) whether the new hard drive will be restored with 10.5 or 10.6?

I'd like to just do everything in one fail swoop, so it would be ideal if it would work this way.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
This will work - I just did it with the wife's machine. I did a TM backup prior to the SL update and then presto it restored everything just perfect. I actually moved her from Tiger to Leopard to SLeopard in one day. It took a few days to settle things down but it was working as expected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.