Microsoft office for mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD
I just bought this at the apple store like 20 minutes ago. I inserted the dvd into my MBP's drive (last model) 13in. It takes it in then makes this weird sound and then after making that sound about 20 times, it spits the disc out. I'm not sure if this is with the disc or my macs drive... Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Does your drive read other disks? If so, it's not the drive.

OP
crazypotatos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it reads other CDs and DVDs fine. Im just confused on why it wouldn't even accept the disc. It will take the disc in and do it's thing but at the last noise it does when accepting the disc before the disc spins, it sticks on that and just keeps making that noise

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If other disks work fine...the MS Office disk could be bad or dirty.

- Nick

OP
crazypotatos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here I video taped this stupid thing.

YouTube - i hate microsoft

If the disc is dirty, who would I contact to either get a new disc? Microsoft or apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Return it to the store. They can even test it out there I'm sure and if it's bad, I'm sure they'll exchange it.

OP
crazypotatos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Return it to the store. They can even test it out there I'm sure and if it's bad, I'm sure they'll exchange it.

Should I bring my mac with me to show what will happen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
the MS Office disk could be bad or dirty.

Check the readable surface of the disk, mostly nearer the centre, because that's where the problem is more likely to be. Slant the disk to get good light refraction and look for tiny scratches, or smudge marks. Was the disk case still wrapped in cellophane when you bought it?

I'd suggest taking the disk you have, and your Mac, into the Apple Store so that you can try an exchange MSOff disk before you buy it. The seller of the disk (Apple Store) is responsible for the quality of the product.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should I bring my mac with me to show what will happen?

You won't need your laptop to do the return...but if you get a 2nd MS Office install disk...this would allow you to test the 2nd disk before leaving the store...and not have to return a 3rd time.

- Nick

OP
crazypotatos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Check the readable surface of the disk, mostly nearer the centre, because that's where the problem is more likely to be. Slant the disk to get good light refraction and look for tiny scratches, or smudge marks. Was the disk case still wrapped in cellophane when you bought it?

I'd suggest taking the disk you have, and your Mac, into the Apple Store so that you can try an exchange MSOff disk before you buy it. The seller of the disk (Apple Store) is responsible for the quality of the product.

No the disc itself wasn't rapped in plastic, but the whole box was. I looked at the disc and there are some weird marks (not scratches) on the disc. It looks like maybe there was adhesive on the disc at one point

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The seller of the disk (Apple Store) is responsible for the quality of the product.

Actually that's iffy in the US at least. Technically once you open a piece of software, the retailer is not obligated to allow return of the software. They can at that point make you work directly with the software company.

Now whether they'll allow a return is usually up to a particular retailer, and many do so on a case by case basis.

In this case, I'm sure Apple will be willing to do an exchange.

OP
crazypotatos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually that's iffy in the US at least. Technically once you open a piece of software, the retailer is not obligated to allow return of the software. They can at that point make you work directly with the software company.

Now whether they'll allow a return is usually up to a particular retailer, and many do so on a case by case basis.

In this case, I'm sure Apple will be willing to do an exchange.
It does say on the receipt that there is no open box returns accepted. I'm assuming this would be different since it doesnt work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does say on the receipt that there is no open box returns accepted. I'm assuming this would be different since it doesnt work?

I can't say for sure. They may send you to Microsoft, you can't be certain until you go there and ask.

But one thing is certain, your problem isn't going to be fixed in this thread...so get moving to the Apple store you purchased this from and let us know how it goes. ;)

OP
crazypotatos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't say for sure. They may send you to Microsoft, you can't be certain until you go there and ask.

But thing is certain, your problem isn't going to be fixed in this thread...so get moving to the Apple store you purchased this from and let us know how it goes. ;)

Ok thanks for the help dudes. Ill probably be going to the apple store tommorrow or friday.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Open software is usually exchangeable for the same product/software title....just no refunds.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Open software is usually exchangeable for the same product/software title....just no refunds.

- Nick
That's been my experience as well. Usually, I'm informed that returns are not acceptable but exchanges are. Talk to Apple and let them know the situation. I'm fairly confident that if you explain the situation and show them on your MBP, they'll have no problem providing you with a replacement.

OP
crazypotatos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went there on thursday and they just exchanged it. The only thing i don't like about the apple store is there is like no visible line to checkout or to do anything. You have to find someone which is really difficult. But that thing they have on the iPhones to check you out is awesome!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.