Flash Playback Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
***THIS IS NOW RESOLVED *** SOLUTION - TURN FIREWALL OFF THEN BACK ON***

Help! I can't get flash videos to work on the BBC News site - although I have no issues on other BBC sites such as the iplayer, or any other sites.
I've tried Firefox, Safari and Chrome, and I've reinstalled flash but still no luck. All software is latest version.
I've removed adblock, turned off little snitch, changed DNS settings, and can't get it to work.

Even stranger I CAN view the video content on the same machine in Parallels with XP.

Any suggestions on what else I can try?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Can you view Flash content elsewhere? If you navigate to /Library/Internet Plug-Ins (not the Library folder in your home directory but in your "Macintosh HD" folder), do you see any flash related files there such as Flash Player.plugin and flashplayer.xpt?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Flash playback everywhere else Youtube, Guardian etc, and even on other parts of the BBC site - I have no problems using the iplayer for example

So I can view the video content here:
BBC iPlayer - Home

I dont see any flash related files in that Folder though

But not here:
BBC News - One-minute World News

RESOLVED BY TURNING FIREWALL OFF THEN ON AGAIN!!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When you say that you don't see any content, are you getting any messages/errors or are you just getting a blank screen? If you're just getting a blank screen, I suggest that you clear out the cache for the respective browser. This would be a good first step beyond what you've mentioned.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK - I've cleared caches on all three browsers (FF, Saf, Chrome) - still the same

Also reinstalled Flip and Perian, but no change there.

When I click one of the pages on the news site there is no error, and the player loads with what appears to be the first frame of the video. Then the progress wheel appears and doesn't move - player controls such as play, pause etc dont load.

Ill post a screenshot to show what I mean.

I think there must be a Flash Cache or prefs file some - anyone know where?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it loads, it sounds as if there is a streaming issue. I tried it here and there was no issue. Now, you say that the video loads (or at least the first frame). Are you on a slow connection? Have you tried to give the video some time?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its not a connection issue - I'm on a decent broadband connection- it works on my other computer (a crappy netbook), as do all other video streaming sites, and it even works within XP on Parallels on the same mac.

I have made some progress though.

I created a new user account, logged in to that, opened safari, went straight to the page and immediately the video works.

So there is something in my own user account that is screwed or is some way blocking that site.

I'm convinced its a Little Snitch problem - might try totally removing that rather than just disabling it

FIXED!!!

It wasn't Little Snitch after all!

All I did was turn of the OSX Firewall, loaded the page and it worked.

So I turned it back on again, and it still works - in all three browsers too.

Annoying, illogical, but it works!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.