Mac -> iPad mail

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been using my Mac for everything for the past several years. Two days ago I bought an iPad to simplify things since mail and web are most of what I use a laptop for.

The problem is that I would like to sync all of the email on my Mac (~6000 messages) since I frequently need to refer back to old email. Is there any way for me to copy these messages to my iPad (like you can do when you buy a new mac)? I have a me.com account but I delete messages from the server after I retrieve them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Jim,

Probably the best thing to do would be to keep all of the messages you receive for your MobileMe account on the server. I say this for two reasons. First, the iPad will keep at most 200 messages locally. In other words, it won't let you copy all of the messages on the iPad itself. You can however, search for e-mails on the server, so this should be a non-issue. Secondly, by leaving the messages on the server, you can access them from anywhere, including your Mac (assuming you want to keep it), your iPad, or any other PC with Internet access. In fact, the whole idea behind IMAP e-mail services like MobileMe is that the messages stay on the server so that they can be accessed from almost anywhere.

If you've pulled the messages off the server, you can put them back through Mail on the Mac with a simple drag and drop. However, it's difficult to tell you exactly what you need to do without some more information. How do you pull the messages off of the server when you are done with them? Do you have a section in the sidebar entitled "On My Mac" with various folders for the types of e-mails you want to keep? Or do you do something else? Any additional information you could give us would be helpful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.