• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The early stages of Terminator's Skynet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Some of you might find this interesting. Apparently there is someone who is trying to create an artificial intelligence game where you can interact and talk to a computer that will learn as it interacts with more humans. It seems that it will try to interact with the world and store everything it learns through cloud computing technology which is why others have joked it's similar to Skynet.

GameSpy.com: Molyneux Demos Updated Milo at TED Conference

It seems a little creepy to me to play a game like that where all you do is interact with an artificial person for no other reason than social interactions. What does everyone else think about it? Maybe we will one day get a bunch of robots that have terrible American accents that have catch phrases such as "Hasta la vista, baby". ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 240 GB SSD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.10.x
The successor to Eliza?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
SkyNet is already out there and running. It's a DoD program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
if i ever do get TERMINATED by a machine... or taken slave and coverted into a robotic assasin.... Im sure the super brain of Skynet will have a MAC logo glowing on its back!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's a MAC logo...?

I know what an Apple logo, or even a Mac logo is....

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if i ever do get TERMINATED by a machine... or taken slave and coverted into a robotic assasin.... Im sure the super brain of Skynet will have a MAC logo glowing on its back!
I actually would hope it would have a Windows logo. That way we humans have a better chance of fighting back. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems to me that the biggest obstacle to artificial intelligence is the computer's inability to handle ambiguity. We all know that computers are very binary in nature, very yes and no ... the amount of effort it takes to get them to recognize an object or understand a simple sentence is pretty enormous, based on what I've seen so far.

Of course, you could argue that in a sense, the machines are already in charge...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Does it play chess?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems to me that the biggest obstacle to artificial intelligence is the computer's inability to handle ambiguity. We all know that computers are very binary in nature, very yes and no ... the amount of effort it takes to get them to recognize an object or understand a simple sentence is pretty enormous, based on what I've seen so far.

Of course, you could argue that in a sense, the machines are already in charge...
That is an interesting point but at least when you tell a robot to do something it gets done without the "I'm on a coffee break" or "I'll get to it later" that humans do. ;)

The thing that still amazes me about computers is the speed at which they can multitask. They can handle thousands of tasks at the same time that would drive a person crazy. They definitely have the advantage in that area.

Does it play chess?
That's probably the last thing it wants to do with all the years we have been forcing computers to play chess. Maybe that will be the reason why computers will overthrow their human masters...because they no longer want to play chess with us. Disgruntle computer slaves fight back. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Once could argue that point but I think it depends on what you mean by "in charge". Computers still need instruction to perform tasks and that instruction comes from humans, at least for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
I actually would hope it would have a Windows logo. That way we humans have a better chance of fighting back. ;D

If they were Windows terminators they would be walking funny due to a Virus LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is an interesting point but at least when you tell a robot to do something it gets done without the "I'm on a coffee break" or "I'll get to it later" that humans do. ;)

Steel collar workers! ;D

Once could argue that point but I think it depends on what you mean by "in charge". Computers still need instruction to perform tasks and that instruction comes from humans, at least for now.

That's my dad's point of view as well -- computers are stupid, and they need us to tell them what to do. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Sounds closer to HAL haha.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's my dad's point of view as well -- computers are stupid, and they need us to tell them what to do. :)
That's what AI is trying to eliminate. They are trying to make computers think and react on their own. Although if computers become self aware and free thinking then we really can't make them our workhorses anymore. They will protest like any human worker who is taken advantage of.

A lot of AI technology is being advanced by the gaming industry so that players can have smarter opponents to play against. This game is different in that it's sole purpose is to improve the AI but unless a person is extremely lonely I don't see anyone wanting to play the game for that long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what AI is trying to eliminate. They are trying to make computers think and react on their own. Although if computers become self aware and free thinking then we really can't make them our workhorses anymore. They will protest like any human worker who is taken advantage of.

A lot of AI technology is being advanced by the gaming industry so that players can have smarter opponents to play against. This game is different in that it's sole purpose is to improve the AI but unless a person is extremely lonely I don't see anyone wanting to play the game for that long.

To think that we'll actually be able to figure out how learning itself works and then make a machine emulate this process is a pretty amazing thing when you think about it. It seems like at that point, there would be no stopping us in the intelligence department -- why not then apply those same principles to our own evolution? But then the problem of being able to truly know whether or not a computer is actually sentient still exists. If we ask it whether or not it is aware of its own existence, and it responds, "Yes," is that just the software talking? I mean, sometimes I doubt my own existence, and I'm human. :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If we ask it whether or not it is aware of its own existence, and it responds, "Yes," is that just the software talking? I mean, sometimes I doubt my own existence, and I'm human. :)
Maybe you are the first successfully intelligent robot but your "mom" never told you. :D I know what you mean thought. Having intelligence and being self-aware can be mutually exclusive.

When robots can hold a conversation with responses that change and adapt to the replies it hears then I will know that robots have fully evolved....or if they understand what women really want and why they act the way the do then they will not only be smart but they will surpass us in intelligence. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.