I'm returning my iPhone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Yes I'm having the antenna issue....more on that later.

It's the lens cover. I refuse to use a case/screen 'protector'. Why should I need a screen protector? If I need a screen protector, then it should be included with the phone. It's super tough scratch resistant glass! Although, I've found my tungsten wedding band will scratch the glass, as it is a much harder material.

So, about that lens. It's made of crappy cheap plastic. Really, Apple? Arguably the most important part of the backside of the phone, and you allowed it to get skipped over on the magic new glass treatment. It is now almost completely covered in scratches, and there is an extremely noticeable blur in the pictures and videos now.

The antenna problem is pretty frustrating too. Not only do I not want to cover such a beautifully designed phone, but the bumper case is rounded and my car's 30 pin connector to my stereo is squared....it's just a headache. These two major problems are so disappointing I simply don't want the phone anymore. I'll get my 3GS back and wait until they fix the issues. I'd wager though that the lens issue won't even be addressed, mark my words.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)
Why is EVERYONE making such a HUGE deal about the antenna thing? The bumper fixes that issue, and if you would take care of your phone instead of throwing it around, it wouldnt get scratched. I was 9th in the store on the 24th, haven't put my phone down, and have not a SINGLE mark on this phone. Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. Maybe you should go get a blackberry, seems like you prefer a brick that never breaks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Congratulations on your return! Now, go on to your normal life and be happy!

OP
S
Reaction score
Are you serious? First, I didn't make a HUGE deal out of the antenna issue; I said it was a contributing factor. Second, the iphone only sits in my pocket or on a flat surface. IT GOT THE SCRATCHES FROM NORMAL USE. Third, IT SHOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN ANY SCRATCHES AT ALL. They should have made it out of alumino-silicate-superman glass like the rest of the phone. Show me a picture of/from your lens, jerk. And no, the bumper doesn't fix the antenna issue completely. If you had read my post, you would know that the bumper's shape also doesn't allow me to plug in my phone to my stereo. And what if I want to make a big deal out of it?

"Seems like you prefer a brick that never breaks."

Uh, doy. When I spend over $400 bucks on a phone, I expect a certain level of quality, especially from Apple.

Seems like you prefer to not read posts before popping off at the mouth.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just return the phone...that's your privilege!:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No Name Calling is allowed here at Mac Forums. Read the Community Guidelines in my SIG please.

If you do not like your iPhone 4, take it back. Maybe a Google OS phone will better suit your needs although Anandtech's excellent review showed a close to 20 DB drop on a Google Phone when the antenna was covered by a human hand.

OP
S
Reaction score
Just return the phone...that's your privilege!:)

- Nick

Nice job editing your post. Is that what you do? Speak your mind and then retract it for no good reason? Where's the part about me making a federal case out of it?

Are you guys Fruit looping serious? I already said I was going to return the phone. Your name is officially 'Yeah yeah'. All you did was regurgitate my post. Now comes the part where you flip your phone over and go, "gee my lens is scratched too. As an Apple fan, I'm surprised at this oversight from a company renowned for their quality."

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Play nice folks. It's a phone, not the Holy Grail. Some are going to like it, some will not. To each their own. Move on now please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)
On a side note to anyone else looking to comment on this post, I would keep a keen eye out for this case.... I have heard of a few prototypes of this case performing wonderfully!

iPhone 4 Commuter Series Case // OtterBox.com

OP
S
Reaction score
Play nice folks. It's a phone, not the Holy Grail. Some are going to like it, some will not. To each their own. Move on now please.

LOL........where did I say this phone was the Holy Grail? I'M NOT THE ONE IGNORING THE FLAWS. Wow. What is the point of a forum if you can't voice a concern? I am playing nice. And I'm getting reprimanded for it.

OP
S
Reaction score
No Name Calling is allowed here at Mac Forums. Read the Community Guidelines in my SIG please.

If you do not like your iPhone 4, take it back. Maybe a Google OS phone will better suit your needs although Anandtech's excellent review showed a close to 20 DB drop on a Google Phone when the antenna was covered by a human hand.

Thanks again for reiterating my post. Sick burn too. I come here with a legitimate concern, and get rebuked because you think for some reason that I'm abandoning Apple. Everyone knows there isn't a piece of hardware out there that even comes close to Apple's, even with these issues. That doesn't mean I think it's the Holy Grail, just a really good piece of hardware. As soon as they fix them, I'll get my iPhone 4 back. Maybe you should get down off your high horse. You're some dude on a forum. Seriously. Nothing more.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL........where did I say this phone was the Holy Grail? I'M NOT THE ONE IGNORING THE FLAWS. Wow. What is the point of a forum if you can't voice a concern? I am playing nice. And I'm getting reprimanded for it.

Actually, that wasn't intended for you but the others you were lashing out at.

I'm going to tell you to chill out just once, this will be your only warning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, here it is:

Beautiful, Functional, And Durable.

YOU CAN ONLY PICK TWO.

Not a single device in history can keep up to ALL three of these standards.

THEREFORE, because we want Beautiful AND functional as all heck, we pick APPLE.

WHY? Because they have done in a few years what it has taken microsoft decades to try to do: Listen to their consumers.

That being said, if you have a beautiful device like this, do like I do. Keep it in an Oakley Glass case pouch. They cost $1.50! And its a great way to clean your screen as well.

If you want a device that you can toss around and NOT get scratches on, go get a tough phone that looks like crap, works like crap, but can take a beating. Or buy a case for it (iPhone). And as CWA stated, that case, as well as a few others, are very functional, and protect that "400 dollar" phone like it deserves to be.

Relax. Take it back, go get something else, and come back in 4 years when they make a phone out of titanium and bullet proof glass. (That also scratches, btw.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Sounds like we've got a troll on our hands here. Either that or the OP is ridiculously oversensitive and enjoys indulging in the melodramatic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Sounds like we've got a troll on our hands here. Either that or the OP is ridiculously oversensitive and enjoys indulging in the melodramatic

I suspect a combination of all 3. That and she's a 12 year old girl.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To the OP. I pointed out the rules here. You insulted by name calling one member here and we allow no cussing which you did. People need to read the rules on a forum when they join. You might think I and others here are just another member on a internet forum, but a well run and good forum has rules. The ones that do not are annoying to even read leave alone try to get help on.

I brought up the Google phone as that is a proven fact about covering the antenna and the signal drop. It's not just the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 does have an additional issue with that gap between the two external antennas and detuning the Cell antenna by bridging the gap, but no cell phone out there if you cover the antenna completely with your hand is not affected and signal does drop.

I am going to close this thread as to me it's just going to continue to get nasty. You stated your position and are taking it back. So there is nothing more to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.