File downloaded and can't delete!?!

Reaction score
Ok, so I used the activity feature in Safari to download a video. It was in .txt format, and I clicked "get info" and changed it to .flv, so I could play it. Worked fine, but then I wanted to improve quality, and remember seeing a button for it in iMovie. I again changed it to .mov so it would work. Then, i tried moving it, but no deal. It was stuck where it was, no moving it. I tried deleting (in normal mode). It asked for my password, which i entered. It made the delete sound, but it wasn't in the bin. I tried changing the file type again, but it said i don't have permission. I then tried in safe mode to delete it, but it didn't work either. It's just on my desktop, and i can't get rid of it, and I think it's slowing down my computer. I was thinking of maybe using Terminal to move it to a directory, then delete it, but I'm not good at that yet and don't want to mess anything (else) up. By the way, this was all from my admin account. Anyone know anything about how to fix it?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
From the terminal

Code:
cd ~/Desktop
sudo rm <file-name>

This will prompt you for your password, enter it and it should delete the file.

Regards

OP
M
Reaction score
so do i enter everything exactly (like the ~ and /) like how you posted it. And will it do any irreversible damage if i dont do it right? And should it all be in 1 line?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yup..everything explicitly the way I put it and those are 2 commands..so enter the first one..and hit enter to go to that directory..the second will delete just that file, if it exists and you put the proper name..

I explicitly didn't add the "-f" option to the rm command to avoid forcing anything and making things worse..:)

You can add a "ls" in between the two commands I posted to get the full proper name of the file..

Regards

OP
M
Reaction score
ok sorry to bother u again, but i did everything exactly. it asked for the password just like u said. i entered, and nothing happened. i still have the original cd's, and i think the best thing to do would be to move my files to a flash drive, and re-install the OS. anything else i could possibly try (instead of re-installing), and will(re-installing the OS) do the trick, if nothing else does?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.