Need help customizing sudo

N

Niwrad

I've been trying to customize my sudo command so that I can gives guests and friends admin accounts but restrict their root access privileges. The man page "man sudoers" is a little too dense and is somewhat lacking in examples. Can anyone give me a good online referrence (sudo.sw is identical to the man page) or an example or two applying some of the syntax? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
If you wanna restrict certain files, I think the easiest way is use the chown (change owner) command to root only, this is what I would do. But you don't wanna do that with files you need to access online because you never wanna be on line as root. But files can be owned by any user and permissions denied to all other users

OP
N

Niwrad

If you don't activate the root account and hence don't set a root password, can't anyone with administrative priveleges access a file with root ownership using the sudo command paired with their password? This leaves me wide open to pranks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Normally the first account that is created, has administrative privileges. Another other accounts that are created would have to have the admin flag enabled, then there pass word would work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.