iPhone 4: The scrolling problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
When scrolling on web pages my iPhone 4 does not seem to like scrolling up/down a page and then suddenly scroll left or right. I have to lift my finger of the screen and then attempt scrolling left or right. It doesn't do it when scrolling around zoomed in pictures from my photo gallery, I can go up/down/left/right/diaganol move my finger around in circles to navigate around the screen etc so I don't know why it does it on the web. My 3GS on os3+ worked fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Is this your first iPhone? I'm asking because my 3G does basically the same thing. If I flick my finger up it locks into up & down scrolling. I have to first stop it from scrolling, then start dragging my finger in other directions. It's not until then that it'll scroll wherever I want.

OP
Mint
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
That is exactly what my iPhone is doing. I have had the first iPhone, the 3G, the 3GS and now the 4. I can definitely tell you that none of the others did this. Just out of interest could you zoom into a pic from your photos and try scrolling that as if it was a web page to see if that has the same problem. Mine works fine doing that so I can't understand why it has this problem while on the Internet.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, my current 3GS works exactly as AUZambo is describing.

If I start scrolling horizontally or vertically it locks in to that direction. If I start on any diagonal, then I can move the browser in any direction, same as a picture.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.