Sage advice for the new Mac switcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

HI.. Things are working well here with iMAC at the moment. i havent yet connected my printer.. which is Heward Packard, to her though. Does anyone have any advice for me on this please?? Are they compatible?/ Im such a newbie (( dummie )) . judych

What model is the HP Printer?

OP
C

chas_m

Generally speaking, you turn connect the printer to the computer by USB (if that's how it going to be connected), turn it on, open System Preferences -> Print and Scan and see if it's there. It probably will be. If it is, you're done.

If it isn't, hit the "plus" sign on the bottom left of the printer window and follow the prompts.

Reaction score

HI.. Things are working well here with iMAC at the moment. i havent yet connected my printer.. which is Heward Packard, to her though. Does anyone have any advice for me on this please?? Are they compatible?/ Im such a newbie (( dummie )) . judych
Trying just plugging it in. Your Mac might detect and set it up for you. I found this just now doing a google search: Adding a printer to your printer list in Mac OS X

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Yes. You shouldn't have any trouble.

Reaction score
I have been having issues from day 6 !!! Lost links, lost controls, keyboard icon top let screen with "input user" option, screen saver was a generic blue and lost those beautiful graphics, took it to apple, "never seen this before" they noticed recovery partition was gone..... Stripped it ... Reloaded lion .... We double checked it was locked up tight...... Now .... 2 weeks later... No links, ugly screen saver, SLOW, strange small black terminal box where you would enter commands like run/ batch ect..... recovery partition gone AGAIN........

Massive kernel logs with BSSID changed to ........, wired_pages__clear, beacon lost event, airport handshake complete: ( then BSSID was changed)

Plug in log huge with entries; IOHIDfamily. Kext, cellphone helper.kext ( never hooked up cell phone to computer), IOStreamFamily, AppleStorageDrivers, BJUSBLoad, firewirestoragedevicespecifics, (never used fire wire) , system/library/extensions

Something about disc arbitration

And on the hard drive ... Permissions differ on "usr/ share/ devicemgr/ admin/
..........permissions differ, "private/ ect/ hosts
Permissions differ " usr/ share/ devicemgr / frontend/ admin ...

There are about 20 perm differ entries..... Many more plug ins ect...
Pls help... Can't get anything done on computer and it's now only 4 weeks old!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! FYI I have NEVER done anything technical or downloaded any third party apps. I only use pages and email for college .

Thanks!!

OP
C

chas_m

You'd really be better off (and get better answers) by starting your own new thread regarding these issues. Good luck and sorry you're having problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" '07 Lion 10.7 BlackBook 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 500 GB SATA 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM GMA 950 64 MB
I found this post quite informative, and completely opinionated.

I still store some of my files on my desktop for quick access, but it's all organized. The mass of my pictures, music, documents, and other files are all in their designated folders in my Finder, and I only keep the programs that I use the most on my dock.

I'm quite picky when it comes to the overall health of my new Mac - if it gets too warm, I set it on a hard surface, sometimes close the lid, and wait for it to cool down.

I only adjust the settings if I know what the outcome will be, I regulary check for updates, and I even have a reminder set in my iCal to remind me to completely drain my battery once every few weeks to improve the reliability of my battery in the future. I also don't leave it plugged in constantly. Once it's fully charged, I unplug it, and once it gets low again, (a good 2-3 hours on constant awake time) I plug it back in.

I bought a Mac for the quality and reliability, which was worth the cost. I want something that will last me years without any major issues. I've gone through countless PCs - desktops and laptops - since I first started using them in 2000.

I've gone through every Windows besides Vista, and I've used Ubuntu and Fedora on Linux. Ubuntu is close to the appearance of Mac, but MUCH less reliable. On Windows, I had to regularly do malware and spyware sweeps, disc checks, and anti-virus scans. I don't have to shut my Mac down at night - just simply close the lid and let it sleep (which I can do on a PC, but I had to turn the WiFi off to make sure nothing happened to it while I was away)

Another advantage to Mac is low maintenance. Which is a plus for me because that's less time worrying and more time being productive with my work. I plan to have my Mac for a long time. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel MacBookPro 15" Lion OS. iPad2, iPhone 4S, + 13" MacBook + eMac + G4, fanboy since 1985
works for me

yeah, well, that about covers it. I applaud you, I especially like your references to piracy.

Well said.

Karlos

Reaction score
thank you for your advice

i just bought a macbook pro, * 2 days ago * and am still figuring it out

n ur tips r very helpful :D

Reaction score
Thank You

thanks for the info. glad this is one of THOSE GOOD forms. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 macbook pro 15" & 27" 2012 IMac
Thanks to the OP.
Brilliant thread have not found anything like it on other forums !

One thing i have bought that is brilliant is this:
Mac OS X Lion - the missing manual

Loads of hints and tips on how to do pretty much everything (i think) best £17 i paid in a while

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Marc and I switched yesterday :Cool:

Quick question; Is there a way to close a window properly with one click?

I click the little 'X' in the top-left corner and it goes but then I find its still running just in the background...

Or am I wrong? lol

I understand with programmes like iTunes they run in the background for a purpose, but whats with Safari doing it when I close a webpage?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Marc and I switched yesterday :Cool: Quick question; Is there a way to close a window properly with one click? I click the little 'X' in the top-left corner and it goes but then I find its still running just in the background... Or am I wrong? lol I understand with programmes like iTunes they run in the background for a purpose, but whats with Safari doing it when I close a webpage?
Welcome to Mac - you have to quit apps, not just close their windows. Several ways to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 27" 2.93GHz Intel Quad Core i7 iMac 12Gb Ram OS X 10.8.5 / 10.10
I click the little 'X' in the top-left corner and it goes but then I find its still running just in the background...

Just a small image to help. Goes for any app you want to shut down.

quitapps.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
Or "command-q"

There it was, right in front of me. Just didn't see it. I usually close the browser ( or what ever) then go to the task bar to 'Quit etc'. This will save me a step or two.

By the way, why does Apple do it this way? Is it to keep an app running in the back in case one wants to quickly open it again? Why not just close it and be done with it. Oh well, it works. What can one say?

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There it was, right in front of me. Just didn't see it. I usually close the browser ( or what ever) then go to the task bar to 'Quit etc'. This will save me a step or two.

One of the things to get used to is Command+Tab and Command+Q. Press and hold Command, then tab brings up your active programs. Keep tapping tab to advance through the list, while holding Command. Then, as you highlight programs you want to quit, shift your finger from tab to Q. In this way, you can quickly quit programs.

By the way, why does Apple do it this way? Is it to keep an app running in the back in case one wants to quickly open it again? Why not just close it and be done with it. Oh well, it works. What can one say?

Thanks.

It's just the way it's designed. Remember that just because it's different from Windows, doesn't make it wrong. These are two platforms with their own history and way of doing things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27", 3.2 GHz, i5, 16GB 1867 MHz DDR 3, R9 M380 2048 MB
Thanks for a helpful thread. As to shortcuts: I probably have overlooked it, but cannot find the one to use when I want to select some pictures, not all that are shown, e.g. from no 3 to no 12 of 30 shown.
And another question - where do I find a survey of recommended widgets?

Reaction score
Thanks for a helpful thread. As to shortcuts: I probably have overlooked it, but cannot find the one to use when I want to select some pictures, not all that are shown, e.g. from no 3 to no 12 of 30 shown.
To select 3 to 12, highlight #3, hold Shift, click #12.
To select 3, 5, and 7, hold Command and click separately on the 3 file names. Pretty much like in Wndows.

Reaction score
^^Thanks for that, Dem. I didn't know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.