Sage advice for the new Mac switcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.2; 2.4GHz i5; 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
I'm about 48 hours in with my new MacBook Pro and enjoying it. The only thing that's still stumping me is the .dmg vs .exe situation. I download a program, run the .dmg file for an "install" process, and then I get confused. With Windows, I instinctively delete the .exe file after download. But when I try to trash the .dmg file, it tells me its in use.

I hate clutter. I don't want to keep these things in my downloads folder. And I hate redundancy, so I don't want to keep a .dmg in one place with the application in the folder, too.

I've had to re-download some programs, but I haven't figured out the method to the madness yet.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm about 48 hours in with my new MacBook Pro and enjoying it. The only thing that's still stumping me is the .dmg vs .exe situation. I download a program, run the .dmg file for an "install" process, and then I get confused. With Windows, I instinctively delete the .exe file after download. But when I try to trash the .dmg file, it tells me its in use.

I hate clutter. I don't want to keep these things in my downloads folder. And I hate redundancy, so I don't want to keep a .dmg in one place with the application in the folder, too.

I've had to re-download some programs, but I haven't figured out the method to the madness yet.

A DMG file is not an executable, it's a disk image. Think of it as a virtual CD. When you double-click it, it's like inserting it into the drive. Then you'll see the disk pop up on your desktop. Open it, and the program is inside. For most programs, you simply drag and drop the program icon into your Applications folder to install it. When that's done, simply eject the "disk" by dragging the disk icon to the trash.

You may then delete the DMG file from your downloads folder if you wish.

OP
C

chas_m

A. It's not compatible with your Mac, ignore it.
B. Macs don't have viruses or bots, ignore it.
C. I wish ISPs and news reports on threats/security would include a disclaimer as to whether it affects Macs or not. It would really open a lot of people's eyes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini PowerPC G4 Mac OS X 10.5.8 120 GIG HDD Ethernet
Great advice, I just got a Mac Mini PowerPC G4 off a friend who's upgraded to a newer one and I have been so far impressed how easy everything is to use and install. My only problem now is to find a Photoshop equivelant that will work on the Mac Mini - Gimp doesn't seem to load properly.

:) Thanks for the great advice,

OP
C

chas_m

Your best bet is to find a retail copy of Photoshop Elements 6 that someone is selling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did get Gimp 2.4.7 to work, ahh it's a bit sluggish. If that's going to be sluggish, I imagine any Adobe products will be sluggish on this machine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are the specs on the G4 mini? I started with the 1.25Ghz and now use a 1.5Ghz mini.

The Gimp used to fly on the 1.25 Mini, but that was under Tiger and a much older version of The Gimp. Also how much RAM does your Mini have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey mate

My mac mini is PowerPC G4 1.25 GIGhtz 1 GIG DDR SDRAM.
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", iPhone 4, iTouch.
As a very recent 'Switcher' I just wanted to say Thank You for taking the time to share this info. Very useful indeed ......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac pro lion
very helpful

yes helped me no end many thanks

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in, albeit late, to say how well written and common sense info for mac newbies like myself. I bought my first mac and the same one I am still using late 2009. I haven't yet played with all the bundled programs, but I must say I am blown away by some of them. iPhoto is the best software I have used. I started out having not read your great essay by loading Entourage because I was used to using Outlook on my PC's. I shortly thereafter went to Mail just cause it's better and not made by Microsoft.
Thanks for all your essay tips. People like yourself make this forum a wealth of knowledge!

Reaction score
started out ... by loading Entourage because I was used to using Outlook on my PC's. I shortly thereafter went to Mail
I installed Outlook for Mac for same reason, and like you deleted it when I realized Apple's Mail, Address Book and Calendar are all I need to sync up my iMac, iPad and iPhone. I am evaluating BusyCal and will likely buy it (pricey though) to use instead of iCal, and I wish there was an Address Book replacement. But in truth the stock Apple apps are working just fine for me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi chasm, your post really saved me from deleting most of Apple's software and default folders.
Definitely don't do that. Having to do that with a new Windows computer is one big reason I switched from Windows. Having not to do it and being able to relax into the defaults built into the Apple system is a very big reason I switched to Apple.

Reaction score
Great advice, I just got a Mac Mini PowerPC G4 off a friend who's upgraded to a newer one and I have been so far impressed how easy everything is to use and install. My only problem now is to find a Photoshop equivelant that will work on the Mac Mini
I used PS extensively in my Windows years and initially tried to maintain my Windows-like folders approach with PS to maintain my photos when I switched. Then I discovered iPhoto on my new iMac and that took me to Aperture. Managing photos is much simpler and more fun now on my new Mac. I've stopped using PS altogether.

Reaction score
Got my new MBA connected to the Brother laser printer on the Windows network, Brother's Cups drivers work beautifully :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011, Ipad 4, Iphone 5, Imac 21.5 2012, ipod 4thG
I am waiting for my Macbook Pro that I just ordered. I am hoping to have it by Friday. I am a little nervous with getting my files over to the Mac. I have itunes for my pc and need to get all my music and the like to the Mac. Is there a way to get my ipod's music onto the Mac via a program or ?
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I am waiting for my Macbook Pro that I just ordered. I am hoping to have it by Friday. I am a little nervous with getting my files over to the Mac. I have itunes for my pc and need to get all my music and the like to the Mac. Is there a way to get my ipod's music onto the Mac via a program or ? Thanks in advance.
Spend the waiting time googling on iTunes migration. There are a couple of great webpages out there, and an approach that will be specific to your situation. Sync your iPod one last time to the PC, then following the instructions on those pages copy the files over to your new Macbook. I did it using an external hard drive, copying first to the external hard drive, then from there to my Mac. Pays to plan this move carefully so all your playlists and settings will be preserved. Then de-authorize iTunes on the PC if you never intend to use it again. Have fun!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If its a new mac it will come with Lion and will have Migration assistant installed with the new PC transfer function

Apple: How to Use Migration Assistant From PC to Mac 10.7 Lion

I you would rather Apple do it for you, and are near enough to an Apple store, take your new mac and PC in (after organising an appointment) and the Apple staff will do the transfer for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.