Sage advice for the new Mac switcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27", 3.2 GHz, i5, 16GB 1867 MHz DDR 3, R9 M380 2048 MB
Thanks for a quick reply. It doesn't work, however, on my machine, bought in Febr. Shift + click (on picture or name) only highlights the actual picture, no others. That is true with Command + click, too. Tried it earlier, being an old Windows user, and again now, with the same result.(These are pictures saved in Finder, not in i Photo.)

Reaction score
HI Chas. Great read. Ive actually had a G4 for a few years now. But now I am out of work(unemployed)
I can start playing with my New Imac 21incher tomorrow when its being delivered and have time to
really get into it with the loving glow of Macforums to guide and protect me. Thanks again!!!!!!!!! wifi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15-inch, Late 2011, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024
Hi, I'm Varshith.

Switched to a MacBook Pro 15-inch last week.

Can Tally be installed in Mac ?

Reaction score
article on mac users
I hope you don't mind, chas_m, but I thought this post was so brilliant and well done, that it warranted a sticky in the Switcher's Hangout.

i think what you wrote about on how to use a mac with it's programs and not to use windows is great and thanks for all your wisdom :Cool: the only thing i am confused with is the section where you said to run a program called "maintenance" is that correct and should i download this "maintenance" program and use it on my mac i always back up my computer and never use any other program on it i have google chrome on my mac as well so i can go into my facebook as they recommend that you should another browser for facebooking :D

Reaction score
"Maintenance" is a third party program not available on an Apple computer unless you find it on the developer's website, download it and install it on your computer. I think a person can do the same maintenance things themselves using the built-in app called Disk Utility.

My iMac maintenance notes I developed since switching last year with the help of this excellent thread - Reader beware, I am not an expert:

- Backups. I use 3 external hard drives, one for each of (1) Time Machine, (2) SuperDuper, and (3) manual copies of key files and big files that I don't want Time Machine grinding away on all the time (eg, Aperture photo library).
- Keep software up to date.
- Reboot the iMac once in a while, like every week or two. (Use OS X’s Energy Saver preference pane to schedule automatic weekly shutdowns and startups -- click Schedule, then in the second line click to open the drop down menu and select Restart). Some apps leak memory or otherwise misbehave.
- Quit open apps: Control-Tab to pop up list of open apps, then Control-q to quit apps that don't need to be open.
- Quit and restart browser if it’s been open for a while and notice Mac slowing down (hogs memory).
- Ensure the hard drive has 12 GB free space at least.
- Empty the Trash.

- Check hard drive status:
Run Apple's built-in Disk Utility once in a while: Verify Disk (checks directory structure), and Verify Disk Permissions. Notice the drive's S.M.A.R.T. status at the bottom of the Disk Utility window (checks the drive's hardware status).
Maintenance and OnyX are free multifunctional maintenance utilities from Titanium's Software • Home Maintenance is from the same developer for the less technically inclined; Onyx is more technically rich. Neither are available on the Mac App Store because they operate deep in the operating system. They basically gather in one handy place operations that can be found in Apple's operating system functions. Donationware.

- Physically clean away dust.
- Stop unnecessary apps from starting at login.

- TinkerTool gives access to additional preference settings in MacOS X. (TinkerTool System is a shell of additional utilities.) Marcel Bresink Software-Systeme. For experts.

Good reading:
Mac maintenance Quick Assist (Apple Support note)
Essential Mac Maintenance: Rev up your routines - Page 1 | Macworld
Seven maintenance tips to optimize Mac performance | TechRepublic
4 Simple Mac Maintenance Tips

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dear Demapples, thank you so very much for all your info I have printed out all the links and now will study and learn all about the care and maintenance of my macbook :) I'm so glad that there is a forum for us newbies to be able to ask questions Thanks guys :)

Reaction score
Dear Forum, I read on the internet that the mac cleaner would harm your computer is that a misconception or is it safe i know you have links for the mac cleaner so before i download it i just wanted to be sure :)

Reaction score
Ireland - West Cork - it's a big beautiful place:-
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 8GB OS X 10.7.5,iPad 1 - 64gb WIFI, iPhone 4, MacBook Pro OS X10.8.
Chas - thanks for the tips in your essay. Great read��

Reaction score
Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong spot or has already been answerd some pages back. But what is the easiest way to play pc games (pc DVD) to be exact on Mac. I have a 2010 i think i got it imac 27inch quad core. Now pretty positive it doesnt have e-sata? would another option be maybe run a firewire 800 hardrive with windows and play thm off that?
Any help would be aprreciated .
Cheers
trent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can't run Windows from an external drive. It has to be installed on a internal drive. If you want native windows games, your best bet is probably to do it via BootCamp.

Reaction score
Excellent article. Truly! Although 'Switchers' makes me giggle in a kind of 'I swing from any tree' kind of way. (giggles again)

Reaction score
Chrome vs Safari

So, what kind of data is chrome collecting exactly? My passwords, my history? And what are they doing with it? You're making me want to switch, despite the speed...

I used Safari until I got my new iMAC with the new OS. Now I can't stand Safari and switched to Chrome. It's faster and easier to use. I can't for the life of me understand why I have to go up to the top to open up a navigation screen. The thing should be there like it used to be. That irks me. It doesn't keep an acurate history and it's a pain to try and return to something that you go to every day. It's Chrome for me and I could care less what they collect. I find it hard to believe that a company that makes such great products would put out such a horrible browser.

OP
C

chas_m

sonnyh: have you considered the possibility that your claims about "doesn't keep an accurate history" and "it's a pain to try and return to something that you go to every day" may be limited to you? This certainly doesn't reflect anything even remotely like my experience (and I rely on my history quite heavily over the course of a week) and indeed I have no recognition of the browser you are talking about. It's nothing like the Safari I use, which was in fact ranked the fastest of the browsers (yes, including Chrome):

Browser test puts Safari for Mac, Firefox for Windows on top | Electronista

If you like Chrome better, that's fine. But when a well-respected benchmark site like Tom's Hardware has Safari as the top dog in most categories, it undermines your credibility when you say ridiculous things like Safari is "a horrible browser" when clearly it isn't.

Reaction score
Huge effort Chas!

Very informative,
Should have read this from the start,
Tks again for all your time and reference to the great Mac links
Much appreciated,
Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
Agreed!
My son, a pc user forever, was asked to teach a class on learning the Mac, to pc users. He came away IMPRESSED! I knew he would be.

Reaction score
RAM and Battery Life

Does more ram increase or decrease battery life?

Reaction score
Marvellous

Marvellous, thank you. The whole point of my joining this forum (after googling “Am I ready to switch to a Mac?” and stumbling across it) was so that I could ask some pretty rudimentary questions about ditching the VAIO and possibly buying a Mac, and specifically if there was any advice or guidelines out there for someone like me. This post seems to answer all my questions, thank you so much.

Reaction score
I know a lot of people have said this but thank you so much! I am now 80% ready to switch from my 3-year-old VAIO to the new MBP after reading your post. There are still lot of questions spinning around but basically, I am convinced that it is not too hard to switch (like I was told by a many people) :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.