MBP with external monitor issues

Reaction score
So I've got a late '09 MBP running 10.6.4.

I've got it hooked up to a Samsung HDTV and for the most part the dual screen setup is working flawlessly.

My question is, is there any way to make the HDTV the "primary" screen to use when I decide to make something fullscreen?

When I choose to make videos fullscreen, it goes to my 15" screen rather than my 26". When I go to play Counterstrike, the game is playable only on my 15" screen, not my 26" screen.

It's not a huge issue as I can just mirror the screens for the duration I want to play (rather not have to for movies personally).

I've tried going into the display settings and making it so the dock is on the 26", but that doesn't work.

I get the same issue when I play games off a CD (Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As I re-read your post I realize that you may have already tried this. If so, ignore me. You can change which monitor is designated the primary screen from within the Displays preference pane. Full screen mode tends to follow the primary screen.

With a second monitor attached open the Displays Preference pane and click on the "Arrangement" tab. There will be two or more icons there now (one for each monitor). The primary monitor will have a white bar across the icon representing the menu bar. Dragging that white par to the other screen will changes which screen is the primary one.

I haven't found a keyboard shortcut yet that controls this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Good job "Slydude"...exactly what I was going to suggest...you beat me to it!;)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good job "Slydude"...exactly what I was going to suggest...you beat me to it!;)

- Nick

That will probably never happen again my friend.

I neglected to mention to the OP that if one is unsure which icon in the Arrangement tab represents which screen simply click an icon. The corresponding screen will suddenly sprout a hideous red border,

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just thought of a couple of other issues that might come into play when OS X decides where fullscreen mode appears.

1. For several apps, including QuickTime, you can simply drag a program window to the larger screen before selecting fullscreen mode. Fullscreen mode will now fit that screen.The next time you open a window it will appear on that screen unless you have moved it back to the other screen.

2. Front Row currently does not follow the behavior of outer applications. Instead of remembering where it was last opened, Front Row always opens on whatever screen is designated as primary in the Displays pane. You can change this behavior using xStuff: TV Row 2.0.1

There is also a method for altering Front Row's preference file described in the comments to the article ATPM 15.05 - How To: Spending Time in the Front Row I haven't tried that method yet.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I have actually tried that, I don't think I was clear about what I'd already done, sorry on my part.

I tried dragging the white bar to my bigger screen. and I JUST noticed it only brought over the dock, not the menu bar...is that normal? I then launched CS:S (Counterstrike:Source) and it remained on the 15" laptop screen.

Unfortunately, this hasn't solved my problem.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something seems to be amiss here. Try that again. If you successfully got the white line moved it should move the Menu Bar and Dock to the other screen. Perhaps there is a corrupt preference at work here.

OP
D
Reaction score
I think I get what happened.

I was dragging the blue "box" which represented the display, NOT the actual white bar.

It seems THAT was my problem, and thank you for replying so quickly.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to help. I did not even think of that initially. I should have since I think I have made that mistake myself.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think I get what happened.

I was dragging the blue "box" which represented the display, NOT the actual white bar.

It seems THAT was my problem, and thank you for replying so quickly.

And please do not crosspost. You posted the same thing in the "Notebooks" forum. Thanks for your cooperation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.