Installing Snow Leopard on a blank Hard Drive

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm a little confused as to what to purchase...

I received a MacPro from work, specifically, this one: Mac Pro "Quad Core" 2.66 (Original) Specs (Mac Pro, MA356LL/A, MacPro1,1*, A1186, 2180) @ EveryMac.com

However, for security reasons, they removed the hard drive and the memory. I've gone ahead and purchased a new hard drive and some memory, however I need to purchase an OS as well.

I called the Apple Store near my house and was told thatthey sell the full version of Snow Leopard for $199.

I've also read that you can buy the $29 upgrade version and that it still works as a full version.

If I buy the $29 upgrade, do you think it would work on a new hard drive, with no prior OS installed on it?

Thanks for your help!

C

chas_m

You either misheard the store, or they gave you bad information.

The Mac Box Set is $199. This includes Snow Leopard, iLife 09 and iWork 09. This is a good set and you should probably buy it.

The $29 Snow Leopard will work to put an OS on your machine, but will not include all the software your machine should have on it, specifically iLife.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I don't use either of those here at work, so I may opt for the $29 version.

Besides iLife and iWork, is there any other difference?

C

chas_m

The entire Mac experience is kind of strongly tied to iLife; I really can't imagine anyone using a Mac without it unless you're just some kind of Office drone.

But hey, its your computer not mine, set it up how you want.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the help :) I haven't used them for the past 6 years, so I think I'll be okay. Not to say I won't pick it up later, but for now I just need to get it up and running so I can get back to my work, which doesn't really involve any of the iLife or iWork products.

So, no other differences, besides iLife/iWork?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the reply!

I don't use either of those here at work, so I may opt for the $29 version.

Besides iLife and iWork, is there any other difference?

In that case I think you would be OK with your plan. Did you get the original System discs that came with the machine? They were gray if I remember correctly. If not you may want to contact Apple and request a set. I have seen several reports over the years of them being available for about $20.00 or so. That set contains thongs such as the Developer tools (which you may never use) and the hardware test program which can be helpful.

OP
C
Reaction score
Nope, never received any of the discs...will look into it though.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One thing that was not mentioned... the $29 upgrade version of Snow Leopard is just that - an upgrade version although as you pointed out it will do a full install. The upgrade version is intended for those who already own a copy of Leopard. So let your conscience be your guide. Personally I would follow the advice given by chas_m and buy the boxed set.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm not sure I want to reply to these sort of threads anymore!:(

I totally understand what the:

- $29 Snow Leopard disk can & cannot do.
- the ethics part of the topic
- what Apple is trying to do...or seems to be doing (confusing people);)
- I "think" I understand Mac-Forums stance on the topic

Knowing all of this...why do I still feel "not quite right" when answering this type of question???

Sort of a rhetorical question...just something to ponder.
smiley-think005.gif

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I don't see how ethics come into play here.

The $199 boxed set gets you iLife and iWork and the same installation disc as the $29 dollar version (unless I'm mistaken). So you're paying extra money for these two products. I don't want either, so why wouldn't I buy the $29 option?

Anyway, I purchased the $29 version (actually, it was $35) from the Apple Store. On the box it says:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Green sticker that says New version 10.6.3)
Requirements: Mac computer with an intel processor
1 GB of RAM
DVD Drive for installation
5 GB of available disk space

Nowhere does it say that I need a previous OS to install SL. I don't feel like I'm doing anything unethical.

Anyway, I'm going to and attempt to get this thing up and running - thanks for all your help everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I agree with you Nick and is it necessary for folks who do not use iLife to be labeled 'drones'. Get a life chas-m.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The entire Mac experience is kind of strongly tied to iLife; I really can't imagine anyone using a Mac without it unless you're just some kind of Office drone.
Or someone who has no need for creative apps. I hardly touch the iLife programs. In fact, I removed some because they were taking up space that I could use for something else. That said, I'd hardly call myself an "office drone."

The upgrade version is intended for those who already own a copy of Leopard. So let your conscience be your guide.
Yes, yes it is for those who had/have Leopard: "If you have purchased an Upgrade for Mac OS X Leopard license, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer as long as that computer has a properly licensed copy of Mac OS X Leopard already installed on it." (See here, section 2C).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.