Upgrade or reinstall cd confusion

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an imac G4, 1 intel core duo using 10.4.1 with 1.5 gb memory. I have recently run a repair disk permissions but it seems that since my son backed up his dell laptop onto my computer I now have a hard drive that needs repairing (I keep getting the disk of doom, my HD icon moves places on the desktop and the whole things become slow and painful). It says I need to reinstall from the install cd that came with it, but I can't find it. Apple support said they no longer have that install cd and I can't find anyone with it. I have heard that if I upgrade to snow leopard it will run fine for a few months and will then just become too much for my machine. Is this correct? Is it worth me spending £132 on an upgrade or should I just keep trying to track down an install cd?

Many thanks,

Louise

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm very confused!:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
^ +1=-2!
*"imac G4, 1 intel core duo using 10.4.1 with 1.5 gb memory."
Already confusing.
*"I have recently run a repair disk permissions but it seems that since my son backed up his dell laptop onto my computer I now have a hard drive that needs repairing (I keep getting the disk of doom, my HD icon moves places on the desktop and the whole things become slow and painful)."
Left me soooooo lost!
*"I have heard that if I upgrade to snow leopard it will run fine for a few months and will then just become too much for my machine. Is this correct?"
Snow Leopard won't run on that machine.... Leopard is as far as it will go, but as far as being told that it will run fine for a few months, and then be too much for your machine.... even if it were leopard which would work, why the time limit?

I don't know where to go from here :(

C

chas_m

We're unable to piece together what's going on from your confused post. My advice would be to visit your local Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) or a retail Apple Store as soon as possible.

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you bring it to a PC dealer or Big Box retailer, even if they sell some Apple stuff like iPods etc.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you to you all for your help, although I don't understand why my post was confusing. Nor do I understand who I should have used the reputation system for when I posted.

Thanks all the same.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you to you all for your help, although I don't understand why my post was confusing.

The person or persons that create the confusion almost never understands why something is confusing. Because it makes sense to them (but not to others).

Also remember...what you're thinking & what you're writing in a post may not be the same thing. We only see the words that are written...not the thoughts in someones head.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.