Sleep mode without power

Reaction score
My macbook battery has bloated and is impossible to attach into my macbook. So now, I am currently relying only to my power cord, which I think does not sound too good when it comes to power surges and maybe lightnings.

Anyway, my concern is whether my hard drive would suffer any damages when I remove my power cord (take note, I have no attached battery) after putting my unit to sleep (close the unit lid)? Is it safe if I frequently do this until after my new battery arrives?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I understand why you're putting the machine to sleep and pulling the AC cord with no battery installed. You very definitely risk losing data and\or possible hard drive corruption. Shut down first before pulling the plug.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, I had some few experiences where I encountered a black out and I had no battery on while on sleep mode, when the power came back and I woke up my macbook, somehow it started with a gray screen and a progress bar, which when it was finish loading, the original status before I turned on the sleep and before the power outage was loaded. This made me think that maybe it's possible to do this to prevent the hassle of shutting down when i transfer from one room to another. From my search in the internet, this is called Safe Sleep. But even with the name "Safe" I am still wary how this would affect my hard drive.

Here's a link from Rob Griffith on Safe Sleep.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I understand what Safe Sleep is and what it does, however, shutting it down the way you're doing it can lead to data corruption. If you have a new battery on order, in the meantime just shut the machine down the normal way before moving it. As I said, you risk data corruption otherwise. Why take a chance?

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.