Tightening Hinge on Macbook?

Reaction score
Is it possible to tighten the hinge on the macbook? I don't feel like taking it to Apple and pay to have them fix it. But, if this is something that is covered under warranty, I may. I have no problems with it currently, but don't want it to get too bad in the future. Any help or insight would be greatful.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is your machine under warranty or Apple care? If it is, take it on in and let Apple tighten or replace the hinge for you. Case parts including hinges are covered.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
I believe it is under warranty still. I didn't figure something like this would be covered since it is wear and tear. Its not broke, just needs tightened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If it's under warranty still, I'd take it on in! Let it slide, and it won't be covered :)

OP
S
Reaction score
I just remembered that I am not under the 1 year warranty anymore, but still within that 3 year window. Will this change things? If I have to pay for it out of pocket, does anyone know what they would charge? And does Apple charge hourly, or by the job?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If I have to pay for it out of pocket, does anyone know what they would charge? And does Apple charge hourly, or by the job?
Give Apple a call...they can give you the most accurate answer.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take it on in and ask them to give you an estimate before they look at it. It's not something they have to trouble shoot first as they should be able to tell you within a couple of dollars how much it will cost. Keep in mind that if the hinge has to be replaced you'll also have to pay for the cost of the new part.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.