os 8.6 to 9 confusion

C

caroline2789

i'm on an imac/333 with os 8.6 and want to install os 9.
everyone says go to ebay to buy it. ok.
ebay has:
"Mac OS 9.2.1 Operating System Disk Disc Install CD"
will this do the job?
is the basic os9 software on this disc? or do i need to get that first?
please, some clarity from someone who knows.
i know this sounds familiar but i'm totally confused.
thank u in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
That disk would be fine. As long as it is a retail full install copy there should be no problem.
You may want to consider putting OS X on that machine though. It will handle 10.3 nicely if you make sure to max out the RAM.
If you do decide to get OS X and want to run Classic with OS X, make sure to get both CD's, one for OS 9 and the other set for OS X. Install the OS 9 first, then you can install the OS X on top of it. :black:

OP
C

caroline2789

thank u so much!
ram is maxed and i will go to osx once i get 9 merrily installed.
have a good day

OP
B

Badger

A good site for info on older macs is www.lowendmac.com. They have a very useful page for these models. The 333 (AKA Revision D) iMac is a good machine and well worth the time and effort. My rev D has been in daily use since I bought it (Oct 99). It has been upgraded several times: a CD-RW, bigger hard disk and a G4 466mhz CPU; and still works perfectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
U can also check the apple forums and the apple site to learn more about the firmware update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.