Screen Glitch/Pixelation. Computer Frozen

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a Macbook Pro that is about Four years old. I am still (or was) running 10.4. Today when I tried to turn on my computer screen came pixelated and then froze. i was able to turn it on again but only for a few moments before it locked up again. Now I am unable to turn it on at all. Anyone ever had this issue or know of a fix? Please tell me I have not lost everything! Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does that have the Nvidia graphics GPU? I remember there was an issue with that GUP on MBPs and other systems that used it. Forget the model of the Nividia Chipset at the moment but I am sure someone else will remember. It really sounds like that is your issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The graphics processor in your MBP may have failed. If it indeed failed, that means a new logic board. An expensive repair.

However, there were certain MBP machines that Apple extended the warranty on because of failing graphic processor units. Yours may be one of those. Give Apple a call and have your model number and serial number handy. Ask them to check to see if yours is one that is covered by the extended warranty. If it is, they will repair it for you for free.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.