iMac G4 Gray Screen Issue

Reaction score
I erased the hard drive of my iMac G4. Old install disks are gone. Got install disks for 10.2 Jaguar. Want to install and sell computer. Cannot get the new software to install. Have tried C key, D key, Option key, and just about every other key but get only gray screen with flashing globe, gray screen with flashing question mark, or gray screen with two arrows. Not sure what I did when I erased the hard drive but messed something up. Any suggestions on how to get the 10.2 Jaguar installed? Holding C key while disk is in at start up does not work. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Well for starters the Jaguar discs have to be what is known as full retail install and not silver/grey discs from another model as these are extremely model specific.

OP
M
Reaction score
Disks

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Well for starters the Jaguar discs have to be what is known as full retail install and not silver/grey discs from another model as these are extremely model specific.

The disc says: Mac OS X v10.2
Upgrade
Install Disc 1

The second disc: Mac OS X v10.2
Install Disc 2

Reaction score
The retail 10.2 disc is white with the spotted X, says version 10.2,install disc 1 and 2, No words about upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.