Safari Noobie question!

B

BillyBoy

Hi All,

Just tried to watch some quicktime file from BBC website, but with no luck.

I get the message...

Safari cannot find the internet plug-in.

the page "Blah blah blah" has content of MIME type :audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin". Because you don't have this pllug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can't be displayed.

... any ideas on how to view this content?

Help much appreciated.

BB

OP
B

BillyBoy

Fair enough! Did say it was a silly question.

Takes a little time to work out the different language.

Ta

BB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
re: this... Tiger comes with Real Player pre-installed, yet when I tried to listen to a Real webcast last night, it tried to open it with Adobe CS Live (whatever THAT is !!!)

Downloaded an older version of Real but still no dice... since the streaming is not on my iBook, can't use the "Open with..." trick to assign it to Real Player, so how do I encourage Real Player to get off its fat *** and play a streaming Real Player webcast???

Reaction score
tootallUK said:
re: this... Tiger comes with Real Player pre-installed, yet when I tried to listen to a Real webcast last night, it tried to open it with Adobe CS Live (whatever THAT is !!!)

Downloaded an older version of Real but still no dice... since the streaming is not on my iBook, can't use the "Open with..." trick to assign it to Real Player, so how do I encourage Real Player to get off its fat *** and play a streaming Real Player webcast???

I didn't have RealPlayer installed on my iMac when I got it last weekend, so I downloaded it, and when I click on it, it plays a nice little message saying "Hello".

But....when I try to play anything from the BBC, I get the same message as tootalUK:

The page “BBC Sport Player” has content of MIME type “audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin”. Because you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can’t be displayed.

Any ideas guys ?

btw - loving the new machine :headphone

Reaction score
Spliff said:
Could you provide the link of the video file you are trying to watch?

Weel, if you go to the BBC News site at http://news.bbc.co.uk/ and then click on any of the three VIDEO links on the right hand side, the film should start playing in a pop-up window.

My window opens up, but I get the message saying that Safari can't find the relevant plug-in.

Cheers (and spark one up for me..;-))

OP
S

Spliff

Surfing Charlie said:
Weel, if you go to the BBC News site at http://news.bbc.co.uk/ and then click on any of the three VIDEO links on the right hand side, the film should start playing in a pop-up window.

My window opens up, but I get the message saying that Safari can't find the relevant plug-in.

Cheers (and spark one up for me..;-))

Hmm, works for me. Did it ask you to select your choice of video player first?

Here's what I would try. Check your plugins folder (/Library/Internet Plug-Ins) for the VLC plugin. If it's there, remove it.

Then reinstall RealPlayer. Get a fresh download from here:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8428

Then repair permissions using Disk Utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Haven't tried it with RealPlayer yet, but WMVs seem to work fine if you have Flip4Mac installed.

Reaction score
Spliff said:
Hmm, works for me. Did it ask you to select your choice of video player first?

Here's what I would try. Check your plugins folder (/Library/Internet Plug-Ins) for the VLC plugin. If it's there, remove it.

Then reinstall RealPlayer. Get a fresh download from here:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8428

Then repair permissions using Disk Utility.

No VLC plugin, so I just ditched the RealPlayer I'd installed, and reinstalled it like you suggested. Works fine now - go figure !!

I hadn't dragged it to the Apps folder the first time, so I guess that was my problem.

You're a star !!

Discerptor - I did try Flip4Mac before, but apparently it doesn't work on Intel-based Macs yet.

Thanks guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.