• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Stupidly overwritten a file

Reaction score
Hi guys

Im in need of help. Today as i was working on After effects cs4 and i stupidly exported my clip with the same name as i brought it in with. :Angry:

eg. I was working on the clip "Oakwell extra" and i exported as "Oakwell extra", ofc this immediately overwrite the file and i got the media offline bars instead of the clip. resulting in a clip of bars with the effects over the top.

is there anyway i can get back the original file "Oakwell extra"?

Unfortunately im not using time machine :(

i may be able to open another ae project from the original source footage with a similar effect that can be adapted. But i get the error message

"After Effects error: reading from file "Projectname.aep" - disk error (I/O error;bad media) (-36)

( 3 :: 6 )"

i have tried to move this file from my external HD onto my mac, but it doesn't open still.

any ideas? at all?
thanks in advance

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It is strange that when saving/exporting a new file as the same name of an existing file you didn't get some sort of a warning that you were overwriting an existing file? If you did and hit overwrite anyway...with no time machine or other backup, not sure how you'd get back to the original file..

Rgards

OP
F
Reaction score
yeah i got the warning, but i wasn't concentrating and clicked on "ok". then realized what id done and clicked cancel but it was too late.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aww shucks..without a backup of the original..there really is no way of getting it back..sorry..

Regards

OP
F
Reaction score
just to update you. i actually managed to find a original file in my fcp render files. lucky lol.

thanks for the help :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh..good for you..I'm sure you'll think a dozen times about hitting YES to the next overwrite window you get..:)

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.