ibook boot issues

Reaction score
Hi

I'm a newbie to this forum, so I hope someone can help!

I have a much loved ibook 14" (late 2004??). It has just died. Well, in so much as it won't boot up. The ibook either gets as far as the apple screen and hangs, gets to the login screen and hangs, actually loads up finder etc and hangs or none of the above.

After lots of research online over the past few days I tried the following: I have tried safe mode (not working), starting the command prompt screen (single user and verbose modes), started open firmware, and tried booting from a CD. Nothing works as the boot gets so far then hangs. I have flashed the PRam, resetted the NVRam, and have stopped short of opening up the case to dismantle it!

I just really want to access the hard drive now. I have tried Target disk mode and linked the ibook (pressing T) via firewire to a PowerPC G5, but the G5 doesn't recognise the ibook. System profiler shows the target mode working fine via firewire, just the icon for the ibook/target doesnt mount on the desktop so I cant access it.

Does the ibook have an actual PRam battery that can be replaced? Maybe this is an issue?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I'll buy you a pint.

Please help!
Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Even though you can "sort of" boot the computer...it could still be a hard drive issue...but since you said that the iBook couldn't boot from the CD...that could indicate another problem (assuming the CD you're using is compatible with this computer).

What sort of boot CD are you using?

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Hi thanks for replying.

Currently the boot freezes within a couple of minutes, usually on the apple screen, though i have once or twice got as far as logging in and seeing all my icons/programs before it stalls. I therefore hope one day i can still access the files!

I tried the hardware test CD that came with the ibook years ago, I have also tried booting a OSX Panther CD. I'm assuming they would be bootable.

I forgot to mention that in linking with the G5 in target mode, a disk that I put in the ibook drive appeared on the G5 desktop as an external drive, therefore I wonder why i cannot see the actual ibook drive mounted. The CD drive works as it mounted on the G5.

Si

Reaction score
recovering hd

Hi there,

The worst case scenario is a bad logic board. You may need to rule out a bad hard drive and exhaust other solutions first. If you decide to keep your hard drive, you can remove it following step-by-step instructions from ifixit.com.

Unfortunately new logic boards are more than the computer is worth. You can buy one used from eBay for between $100-$200. That's a gamble, though, because many iBook logic boards have had failed solder connections on the video chip from overheating, board flex stress, or both. If it hasn't failed yet, it may fail before long.

For around $200-$300 you can buy a working iBook from eBay and put your own hard drive in it following instructions on ifixit.com. You can get around $100 for your iBook if you sell it on eBay, even if you pull your hard drive first and keep your AC adaptor.

If it were me, I would do the following.

1. Pull the hard drive.
2. Buy a working iBook from eBay. The hard drives are all compatible with each other. Cost: about $200 to $300. Many are sold without hard drives, and that would be okay if you are pretty sure yours is working.
3. Swap out the hard drive into your new computer.
4. Keep the AC adaptor for sure and the airport card if you need it from your old computer. Also keep your system install discs if you have them. Then put your computer up for sale on eBay for parts or repair. You will probably get about $100 for it as is.

Your net output will be around $100 to $200; less if you watch the auctions for good deals, and more if you are in a hurry. You'll end up with an ibook that is as reliable as the next one, works now, and you won't have to have do a whole logic board replacement with a dubious part. Plus, you won't have lost your data.

Good luck!

SharonMac

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Very good advice from SharonMac.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yeah...pretty good for a first post!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.