How safe it is to connect my iPhone to a public Wi-Fi?

Reaction score
Hi,

Now that ATT changed their data plans from unlimited to 200MB or 2GB I’m planning to start using HOTSPOTS and any free Wi-Fi connections since I’m getting the 200MB data plan, and even if based on ATT’s history I have never exceed the 200MB in the past 6 months, I’m afraid that with a faster phone I will be using more data than normal so, I will have to start using public Wi-Fi services and I’m a little concern about security issues, since I have never used any public network before.

1- What is the risk I would be taking if I connect to public networks?

2- Can they steal my contacts information?

3- What can I do to prevent any security issues?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hi,

Now that ATT changed their data plans from unlimited to 200MB or 2GB I’m planning to start using HOTSPOTS and any free Wi-Fi connections since I’m getting the 200MB data plan, and even if based on ATT’s history I have never exceed the 200MB in the past 6 months, I’m afraid that with a faster phone I will be using more data than normal so, I will have to start using public Wi-Fi services and I’m a little concern about security issues, since I have never used any public network before.

1- What is the risk I would be taking if I connect to public networks?

2- Can they steal my contacts information?

3- What can I do to prevent any security issues?

Thanks

IMHO it's really not that much less secure than using 3G data. Just don't connect to sketch WiFi hotspots, and stick to those provided by either AT&T or the business that you're visiting. Don't just grab on to some random hotspot you're not sure about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.