Does a keyboard protector affect your typing speed?

Reaction score
I used to hate keyboard protectors, it made typing unbearable. But recently I tried typing with it on, in the hopes that the added challenge will help me improve my typing speed.

After a few days, mostly on typeracer and tenfingers, I can type about 80-90 gwam. 100+ on tenfingers due to not having to use backspace. Previously I only averaged around 80.

Not however when I take off the protector, the keys feel really fragile and fast. So much that I go about 70-80 because I need to use backspace so much because I get all the letters mixed up. Maybe I just need to get used to the speed...

Anyone else have thoughts on keyboard protectors and their effects on your typing speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I don't use a keyboard protector so I can't really say from experience but I do noticed that the newer Mac keyboards can be a little slippery since they hardly have any texture and they no longer have cup shaped indents for the keys. There have been times that I have typed slower because of this but I think I'm getting used to the keyboard now. I was having problems when I first switched from my old PowerBook.

I'm guessing you might be typing faster because your fingers feel sure-footed when typing fast with a protector since it would add more textured grip. That's just a guess. I've used keyboard covers in the past on other computers and didn't like them so I probably won't try any out soon.

OP
R
Reaction score
The thing is, with and without a keyboard protector seem to require different typing techniques. My speed has actually gotten slower on the laptop after getting used to the protector, my main goal was to improve my speed without one. - -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Well if your goal is to improve speed without one then I think the best solution is to type as much as possible without protection. My typing speed and accuracy was slower also when I first started but I've gotten better with it. It will take awhile for your brain to adapt to a different keyboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.