Possible HDD issue iMac 27inch i7 1TB

Reaction score
hi people i pretty sure i have a HDD issue i recently bought this imac its just over a week old the first five days i rarely heard the HDD working i was evening doing photoshop and xcode then on day 6 the HDD was making a lot of working sounds but nearly all the time even when doing nothing.

Up to now i have rebooted, ran a disk repair but no problems found, i have apple care so i used the tool they provided and nothing came up, i did the diagnostic test with keeping hold of D at start up ran full test and nothing. Just seems very abnormal that the first 5 days it was very quiet and now quite noisy and pretty much constant HDD working sounds even when i doing nothing also i have nothing extra installed on HDD just the os x and the updates

p.s it makes as much sound as my 4 year old Laptop

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
hi people i pretty sure i have a HDD issue i recently bought this imac its just over a week old...

Up to now i have rebooted, ran a disk repair but no problems found, i have apple care so i used the tool they provided and nothing came up, i did the diagnostic test with keeping hold of D at start up ran full test and nothing.

Just seems very abnormal that the first 5 days it was very quiet and now quite noisy and pretty much constant HDD working sounds even when i doing nothing also i have nothing extra installed on HDD just the os x and the updates

p.s it makes as much sound as my 4 year old Laptop

If you think that you have a hard drive problem (even if the diagnostic tests say nothing is wrong)...and since the computer is basically brand new, either:

- take it back to a local Apple Store you got it from (if a store is nearby), and let them diagnose it.
- call Apple & explain the situation. They may require you to ship it to them if you have no nearby Apple Store.

Good luck,

- Nick
-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
Hard Drives do a lot of reading and writing even when the computer seems idle, and they'll make subtle grumbling sounds from it. You'll experience an episode of grumble from time to time (which could last 30 or more seconds), but if you hear nonstop grumbling the whole day, then I'd have Apple look at it. For now, back up your data to be safe. I just presume you're not used to the sound though.

OP
A
Reaction score
not used to it since the first 5 days it was quiet as a mouse and i was doing quite a lot of stuff as well, now with doing a lot less it makes a lot of noise seems to go on and off the whole time i use the imac at the moment.

I have the high pitch noise issue with the screen but i not to bothered with that long as there no other problems but possible experiencing more problems just takes the mik

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.