connect to network at school

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I am trying to get my mac back up on my schools network. My classroom has a wireless router that connects the computers in this classroom. I was able to connect to the network until recently automatically. I have manually set the internet settings of the other computers and tried setting a different IP address and I can get connected to the network, but not the internet. I teach in Korea, so there is a bit of a language barrier with the tech guys and they scared to touch a mac. Please help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is one of those - solve locally - type problems. Without any idea of how their wireless network is setup or what's required to access it, there's not much we can advise you except to check your settings or undo whatever it is you changed. Check this website which may be of some help.

Regards.

OP
Gaegujange Nick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
This is very frustrating. I started out they way I always connect, automatic settings using DHCP. It kept saying no ip address though and I couldnt connect at all. Then I tried copying the settings of the other computers in the classroom and just changing the IP address to another number in the range. I got connected to the network, but not the internet. The part that sucks is that the tech guys dont speak English and dont know how to use a mac. My windows computer in my classroom is running a korean xp os, so Im limited on using that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Do you have bootcamp installed? As chscag has said - there are many factors, locally that could have stopped you from connecting. They could have changed the security protocol or added mac filtering just to name 2. Your best bet is to run windows, have them put the machine on the network with windows, then go back to the mac partition and copy the setup. This will especially help if they turned on Mac filtering, or any other kind of single computer authentication.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.