iBook G4 Combo drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.33mhz, 512 gb memory, 40gb harddrive
Hello all...I am new to Mac and purchased an iBook G4 1.33mhz mid 2005. After a week the combo drive will not mount discs...it just makes a sound as if it is trying and spits it out. what options do I have? I do not want to return it because I really like this little laptop.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the drive is defective your options are to replace it or do without it. But first make sure it's the drive and not the media you're using.

If it's possible to return the iBook that might be the best option. I don't know what you paid for the iBook but a replacement combo drive could be expensive.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello all...I am new to Mac and purchased an iBook G4 1.33mhz mid 2005. After a week the combo drive will not mount discs...it just makes a sound as if it is trying and spits it out. what options do I have? I do not want to return it because I really like this little laptop.

Like "chscag" mentioned...let's make sure the problem isn't the CD media. Some CD media is not compatible with all CD drives. Try a couple different disks...and see if that helps. But try different media type disks. If your trying "backup" disks that you made/burned...they could all be on the same CD media...and all be equally incompatible.

If your combo-drive is truly "dead" you could upgrade to a "Super-Drive" for $87.99 from these guys:

OWC Mercury iBook G4 SuperDrive

Lastly...where did you purchase this laptop from? Usually on a laptop this old...you don't have too many return options.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.33mhz, 512 gb memory, 40gb harddrive
I purchased the iBook off ebay...there is a 14 day return policy but I hate to send this back as I really like this iBook.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I purchased the iBook off ebay...there is a 14 day return policy but I hate to send this back as I really like this iBook.

From what I've heard & experienced...return policies from e-Bay auctions are certainly not as dependable as a retail store (Walmart, Target, etc.).

The other things to consider...I don't know what you paid for this iBook...but even the faster models released as late as 2005...aren't worth a whole lot. So be careful how much money you spend upgrading or repairing it.

I agree...I also really like the iBooks. Especially the very portable 12" models.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.