Transfer photos between 2 macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.5.8 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz C2D 2 GB RAM 250 GB HD
I will be using my wifes mac for a week or two, so my photos for that time will be on here computer. How do I transfer the photos from the iphoto on her machine to my machine? The problem is that I don't see how to keep the events and dates for the pics I upload.

I have a time machine back up of her mac that I could use.

I have free hard disk space where I could dump the photos, but that doesn't keep the events in place. I tried dragging them from iphoto but that doesn't work. I will have a lot of photos to transfer.

My iphoto on her machine is completely empty if that helps.

I feel like I am missing something here and that I am making this to hard.

D

darque

i have done this before. i believe there was a way to export the photos (for web? ) THAT feature allowed you to have the images number themselves and when the file exported it had the images in the exact same order as they were on my other mac.

ok i think i found it... select all ~apple a... (?) then file>export ~web export >select rows columns> create new folder desktop....

i do not know what to do about the rows and columns ??? you will need to try one of these three+things
a. 1 row 600 columns (600 being more than the number it suggests) assumption 1 image per row a whole mess of columns down.
b. 1 row 1 column (?)
c. what it suggests (?)
d. mix and match ~ more rows than columns (one of these has to be the right one)

also you will want to play with the thumbnail and image size settings (set max size to largest file size you have in iphoto. it will set all images to the default size setting otherwise )

once u export~it asks where to export... i made a practice folder on my desktop ...i could cancel & find easily + toss when screwed it up. ...

it will add three folders; inside the folder you created. one of those folders will have "_______images" numbered starting at 0-6000?? depending on how many images you have... take that folder or items in that folder and toss the rest.

then import from other mac and poof they should be right as rain. i remember it took me 3 tries before i figured it out last time... good luck and send me a message if you need to ill try to help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
How do I transfer the photos from the iphoto on her machine to my machine?

Umm, why not use a flash drive? It's what I do all the time between iMac and eMac. The date/time etc remains intact.

Better still, transfer the photos from your camera bypassing iPhoto altogether. [I find the app mildly annoying actually - all I want to do is deal with the pics, not modify them or store them in library and whatnot.]

Another method is LAN ethernet, ie. network your two computers.

Yet another method is to firewire your two Macs together, but there needs (obviously) to be physical closeness for that to happen.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.5.8 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz C2D 2 GB RAM 250 GB HD
Umm, why not use a flash drive? It's what I do all the time between iMac and eMac. The date/time etc remains intact.

Better still, transfer the photos from your camera bypassing iPhoto altogether. [I find the app mildly annoying actually - all I want to do is deal with the pics, not modify them or store them in library and whatnot.]

Another method is LAN ethernet, ie. network your two computers.

This does not keep the iphoto info in tack. I want the events and dates set for each day. If everything is in one day then it would be a mess. Might go with that though.

I thought there should be some way to merge/synch the two libraries. Like I do with programs from my ipod to my computer. I just hit synch and everything is done in seconds.

Now that I have multiple macs, I find this need coming. Before I always avoided it. Might have to look at something besides iphoto to orginize photos.

Dargue, I will have to try your method later. I might just go with the flash drive though if there isn't an easier way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Now that you're talking about "multiple Macs", I would seriously recommend networking them (LAN). You can transfer files readily and quickly that way, and it will incorporate your iPod.

A thought - do you transfer the photos from a camera card/reader, or via a mini-USB cable? To ensure that the same information is being transferred to both/all computers, the card might be the better option, ie. it's the original source, and will therefore have the original information, eg. date/time, regardless of which computer the photos are being transferred to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
You could burn, using the options in iPhoto all of your images to a CD-R/DVD-R. Then create a new iPhoto library, switch to it and re-import your photos into the new library. That way, you have your own library and your photos are not mixed in with your wife's. When you are ready to move your photos to your Mac, backup the library you made to a disc, and then import the pics into your existing library. From reading through the help file, this should preserve the iPhoto information such as what Albums, etc., the photos were assigned to. You could give it a shot, and all it would cost is the price of a a blank disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I, personally, wouldn't transfer photos over network unless there are only a few. A friend of mine tried that with the sharing feature and it was super slow... Not to mention she had nearly 15,000 photos. I would suggest Firewire or Flash Drive.

D

darque

at hughvane

you will have to use a flash drive after doing what i suggested~ anyway. but at least the photos could b in the order he had them in previously

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.