• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HELP!! Deleted iMovie Project in error!!

Reaction score
Just made a fatal error & deleted my first IMovie project in error (I wasn't concentrating & thought I was deleting it from iDVD)

I have dragged it out of trash & into a folder in Finder but when I right-click & select "open in iMovie", iMovie open's but the project isn't there. I have worked for months on this project & can't face starting again.....urgent help needed - please:Oops:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you try to open the file with iDVD? (I'm assuming you created the project with iDVD first from your statement above.)

Regards.

C

chas_m

Are you using Time Machine? If so, then just activate TM and roll back to before you deleted the project.

This is why I love Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I have dragged it out of trash & into a folder in Finder

To which folder?

I'll have to assume you are talking about iMovie 08 or 09. These versions place their projects in to your Movies folder by default under another folder named "iMovie Projects". The associated events are in a folder named "iMovie Events" in the Movies folder. Your chances of recovery of dependent on knowing what you deleted and what folder it was originally in and therefore placed back into.

OP
L
Reaction score
I do use Time Machine with Mybook & usually back up every week. I was concentrating my time into finishing the project & failed to back up this week. I suppose this is a good idea as a last resort as I will only have lost a weeks worth of work!

I am using iMovie 09. I deleted the Project from the Projects window - the event is still there (obviously unedited). I can't believe I was so stupid after all the hard work I had put in! I have looked in iDVD & although I can open the project file by name - there doesn't seem to anything in it.

I am slightly confused as to why the project couldn't just be restored from trash in the normal way - but I was not given that option - I had to drag it back into Finder to save it!

OP
L
Reaction score
Phew!!! I found the iMovie Projects file in Finder & pasted the file I had removed from trash into it & ITS BACK!!!!

Thank you so much for the advice - I didn't know the mechanics of the Folders in iMovie - but having looked at the Movies Folder in Finder - I can now see how it is divided.

Going to back up Time Machine - we learn by our mistakes!!!!

Thanks again everyone who helped!

C

chas_m

Time Machine is normally set to back up every hour. You might consider going back to that default.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for that - you are totally right!

As I back up on Mybook portable hard drive, then I have to have it connected for back up to take place. I had better read up about this.
I am still very new to Mac, so its a steep learning curve! I am signed up to One to one & have been learning everything I can - there is always something new to learn! I will sort out Time Machine properly at my next session!

Love my Macbook - I keep asking why I used a Windows PC for so long!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.