Can't deciede - please help

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to this forum. I am looking in buying a computer for my home music studio. I am looking in getting a new iMac 27" or a used Mac Pro either 1.1 (2006) or 3.1 (2008). I am not sure what to get. I was hoping your guys would share your opinion. What are the differences between the new iMac's and the older line mac pro. I see they still sell for 1000-2000 dollars. Even though they are older, are they still better??
Please help.
Thanks
Jason

OP
J
Reaction score
Need help with choosing studio computer - please help!!!

Hi. I am new to this forum. I am looking in buying a computer for my home music studio. I am looking in getting a new iMac 27" or a used Mac Pro either 1.1 (2006) or 3.1 (2008). I am not sure what to get. I was hoping your guys would share your opinion. What are the differences between the new iMac's and the older line mac pro. I see they still sell for 1000-2000 dollars. Even though they are older, are they still better??
Please help.
Thanks
Jason

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No need to "cross-post"...you posted this same question in two areas.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Im sorry. Im just looking for answers.

We got an excellent crew here!...anyone with useful info will certainly find your posts.:)

Welcome to Mac-Forums,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Thread merged.

You might have not had a chance to check out our Community Guidelines. You can find the link at the top of every forum.

C

chas_m

Hi. I am new to this forum. I am looking in buying a computer for my home music studio. I am looking in getting a new iMac 27" or a used Mac Pro either 1.1 (2006) or 3.1 (2008). I am not sure what to get. I was hoping your guys would share your opinion. What are the differences between the new iMac's and the older line mac pro.

I'd forget about the older Mac Pro. The newer one is a contenda.

As for the rest of your question, it's way too vague to be able to answer meaningfully. I have friends who use both models in their respective studios.

It depends on your need for INTERNAL expandability (for example do you need to run DigiTools cards?), the software you're using and to some extent your workflow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.