running multiple monitor question

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post here, hopefully ive picked the right forum.

im looking at making the switch from pc to an imac. im looking at the top of the range system, and whilst im pretty happy with my decision to make the switch, i have a question that i seem to be getting a lot of conflicting answers for.

I currently run 2 screens on the pic, and as i will have them to spare after my imac purchase i would like to run both of these in conjunction with the imac.

im told this is possible via a matrox, which apple dont seem to do themselves and havent given me any real clear indication of costs or setup.
in addition to this, i was told in an apple store yesterday that i could run the 2 extra screens out of the one port on the imac by using a splitter, but i seem to remember apple saying over the phone prior to this that it might not run very smooth.

Has anyone tried either of these options with any success? i have searched this forum as well as others but havent found anything particularly up to date. i did see mention on another forum that the matrox makes the screens run in vga?

any help greatly appreciated :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can only run 2 screens as far as I know.

1. the imacs screen

2. An additional screen through the video out port, as extended desktop or mirrored.

Anything more than 2 screens would involve a Mac with expansion cards like a Mac Pro with 2 graphics cards

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
im told this is possible via a matrox, which apple dont seem to do themselves and havent given me any real clear indication of costs or setup.

Like you mentioned...the Matrox products should do the trick. This one in particular:

DataSheet

...it's not cheap at $229 U.S...but it seems like it would get the job done.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Matrox is the go-to company for multiple external screens and the DualHead2Go would be the one you're looking for. Make sure you read up and understand it's capabilities prior to ordering to alleviate dissatisfaction after the purchase and to make sure you get the correct version - there are three. As an example, both external displays must run at the same resolution.

Here's another page for you - link.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would say that Matrox has just been lackadaisical in adding the 2010 models to the list. While the 2010 model Macs added audio support to the mini displayport, there should not be any difference in the ports from the 2009 to the 2010 model regarding the video capabilities.

You can always call them (800#) or email to verify this is the case for yourself - link.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes...I noticed that as well...that the Matrox compatibility chart didn't include 2010 models. Like "bobtomay" said...Matrox is probably being a bit "lazy" updating things...they certainly should have done it already.

I would say that there's no real reason to believe that the Matrox products would not be compatible with 2010 models...if they work with 2009 models. It's certainly worth a phone call to confirm.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks for the replies everyone. just a quick update. the matrox can run 3 screens but not as individual displays, i would have to stretch my desktop, which isnt ideal. Anyway, ive just bought a mac pro instead with extra graphics card to do the job. Its a far more expensive way of doing things and im not sure ive done the right thing as yet as this will be my first crossover into mac territory, although i am assured by every mac owner ive spoken to that i wont be disappointed :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I reviewed something a while back which lets me run multiple screens. At one point I had the MacBook Pro screen, a second screen connected directly to it and a third screen connected to this device. It does have its limitations though. You can find the review ATPM 15.08 - Review: OWC USB 2.0 Display Adapter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.