The arrow keys

Reaction score
Are they not on iPad/iPhone keyboard? It's especially annoying when I'm typing in the middle of a long thread and have to edit something at the beginning or the end but can't because they are not in the visible part of the typing field.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nope, not there and my number one gripe also. It's especially a pain when typing inside forum message boxes.

You can scroll up and down inside these boxes by holding your finger on the screen, wait for the magnifier to pop up and then moving to the top or bottom edge of the box and it will s... l... o... w... l... y... scroll for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Since the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch are all touch based devices, it eliminates the need for arrow keys.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You must not have tried editing a post that's 2-3 times longer than the height of the forum reply box, which is also, not re-sizable on the iPad. Think that's about the only place I've noticed the issue. In any of the standard text documents, the arrows really are unnecessary.

Reaction score
It does not eliminate the need for arrow keys. I understand the fight with Flash but why is Apple mad at the poor little arrow key. It's my only real complaint with this great device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How are arrow keys any more efficient than pointing and tapping on a touch-based OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7
You must not have tried editing a post that's 2-3 times longer than the height of the forum reply box, which is also, not re-sizable on the iPad. Think that's about the only place I've noticed the issue. In any of the standard text documents, the arrows really are unnecessary.

Agreed.

It's especially anoying when there isn't an option when I do TOUCH the side of the box to scroll up. In Pages, you can scroll up. That's it. I am not backspacing/deleting a long post to correct an error. It's just not replying to this forum. I've noticed it on Facebook when replying to someone's status or something like that. No scroll up bar when I do TOUCH the side of the box.

OP
A
Reaction score
How are arrow keys any more efficient than pointing and tapping on a touch-based OS?

No one said arrows are more efficient(in general). They are still necessary for situations like the one in the first post and would also help select a few words from a lengthy text more quickly(especially on iPhone/iPod), even if you rarely come across such occasions.

Reaction score
Arrow keys - substitute

I too was frustrated with the lack of arrow keys, until my wife informed me of a adequate substitute solution. Place your finger over the text to be edited and wait for magnifying lens to appear. Next move your finger to the desired position (left or right) until the cursor is in the desired position. Then insert by pressing the desired letter key or keys or delete by pressing the left arrow facing x key next to the P key as appropriate. This will also allow you to cut/paste/copy as desired. Try it. It takes a little practice, but it works well in place of the arrow keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Next time try this:

Inside a text field that you can't see the beginning of like the case you states, use a 2 finger scroll and you will scroll just within that test field and not the whole web page. No need to press and hold till you get the magnifier. It's fast and efficient multiple touch scrolling like the MacBooks.

Hope that helps.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Much better - you know us old guys, we get stuck doing things one way and sometimes can't see what's right in front of us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Next time try this:

Inside a text field that you can't see the beginning of like the case you states, use a 2 finger scroll and you will scroll just within that test field and not the whole web page. No need to press and hold till you get the magnifier. It's fast and efficient multiple touch scrolling like the MacBooks.

Hope that helps.

That is awesome, I never knew that. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Glad I was able to help. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.